What is Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol) used for?
Spasfon® is commonly used for smooth muscle spasm and pain. It is indicated for:
- Symptomatic treatment of pain related to functional disorders of digestive tract and bile ducts
- Treatment of acute spasmodic painful disorders of urinary tract and renal colic
- Symptomatic treatment of acute pain in gynaecology
- Adjuvant treatment of contractions during pregnancy
How should I take Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol)?
Do not crush, break, or chew the tablets. Swallow Spasfon® whole with a glass of water.
Gently but firmly push the suppository into the rectum, pointed end first. If necessary, moisten the end of the suppository with a little water. Push it in far enough so that it doesn’t slip out.
Dissolved in water or dissolve under the tongue.
Ampoule: It will be given by intravenous or intramuscular injection.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use medication.
How do I store Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol)?
Spasfon® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Spasfon® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Spasfon® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Spasfon® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Spasfon® or other medications.
- You have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Spasfon® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Spasfon®. Spasfon® is pregnancy risk category N, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
Always consult your health care provider prior to using this medication if you are pregnant, breastfeeding.
What side effects can occur from Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol)?
Spasfon® may cause these side effects:
- Skin, subcutaneous, and allergic reactions
- Rarely urticaria, exceptional angioedema
- Anaphylactic shock
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol)?
Spasfon® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Spasfon® should not be used concomitantly with potent analgesics such as morphine or its derivatives.
Does food or alcohol interact with Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol)?
Spasfon® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol)?
Spasfon® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol) for an adult?
- Initial dose: 1-3 ampoules/day
- Maintance dose: 6 tablets/day or 3 suppositories/day
- Spasfon® Lyoc: 2 lyocs /day use when need
What is the dose of Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol) for a child?
Spasfon® Lyoc: 2 lyocs/day
How is Spasfon® (Phloroglucinol/Trimethylphloroglucinol) available?
Spasfon® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Spasfon® tablet:phloroglucinol hydrate 80 mg, trimethylphloroglucinol 80 mg.
- Spasfon® Lyoc: phloroglucinol hydrate 80 mg.
- Spasfon® suppositoryphloroglucinol hydrate 150 mg, trimethylphloroglucinol 150 mg.
- Spasfon® ampoule: phloroglucinol hydrate 40 mg, trimethylphloroglucinol 40 mcg.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
It is also important to carry a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking with you in case of emergencies.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Spasfon®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: December 29, 2016 | Last Modified: December 19, 2019
Spasfon®. http://www.meppo.com/pdf/drugs/2869-SPASFON-1439977696.pdf. Accessed November 07, 2016