What is Motilium® (domperidone) used for?
Motilium® is commonly used to treat the following conditions in adults:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Discomfort caused by a slow moving stomach known as gastroparesis. Symptoms include not being able to finish a meal, a feeling of being “too full” or bloated after a meal, a loss of appetite, feeling sick and maybe vomiting, or belching without relief.
How should I take Motilium® (domperidone)?
Do not take medicines that neutralise stomach acid or medicines that reduce the production of stomach acid within 2 hours of taking Motilium®. This is because sufficient stomach acid is required to ensure that Motilium® is properly absorbed by the body.
Motilium® is best taken 15 to 30 minutes before meals, and if necessary at bedtime.
If you do not understand the instructions provided with this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist for help.
How do I store Motilium® (domperidone)?
Motilium® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Motilium® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Motilium® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Motilium® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Motilium® (domperidone)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Motilium® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
You are not able to digest lactose which is a sugar found in milk and milk products.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using this medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication.
What side effects can occur from Motilium® (domperidone)?
Some side effects may occur when using this drug, such as:
- Dry mouth
- Feeling weak
- Loss of sex drive
- Breast pain or tenderness
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Motilium® (domperidone)?
Motilium® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products that may interact with this drug, such as:
- Medicines for treating fungal infections, such as ketoconazole, fluconazole, itraconazole and voriconazole
- Anticholinergic drugs (used to prevent travel sickness)
- Dopaminergic agonists (used to treat Parkinson’s Disease or digestive disorders)
- An antibiotic, such as clarithromycin, telithromycin and erythromycin
- Medicines used to treat HIV infections, such as amprenavir, atazanavir, fosamprenavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir and saquinavir
- Medicines used to treat high blood pressure or chest pain, such as diltiazem and verapamil
- Amiodarone used to treat fast heart rate
- Aprepitant used to treat nausea and vomiting
- An antidepressant called nefazodone
- Medicines that neutralize or reduce the amount of stomach acid, such as antacids.
Does food or alcohol interact with Motilium® (domperidone)?
Motilium® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Motilium® (domperidone)?
Motilium® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
Especially if you have:
- A pre-existing heart condition
- Kidney disease
- Breast cancer
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Motilium® (domperidone).
What is the dose of Motilium® (domperidone) for an adult?
The usual dose in adults is one tablet three times a day.
For nausea and vomiting, this medicine is usually used for a maximum of 1 week.
The initial duration of treatment for other conditions is up to a maximum of 4 weeks.
What is the dose of Motilium® (domperidone) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Motilium® (domperidone) available?
Motilium® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Motilium®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.