What is camu camu used for?
Camu camu is a shrub. The fruit and leaves are used as a medicine.
Camu camu is used for:
- Viral infections including herpes, cold sores, shingles, and the common cold
- Eye conditions including cataracts and glaucoma
- Treatment of asthma, “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis), chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, gum disease (gingivitis), headaches, and osteoarthritis
Some people use camu camu to increase energy and maintain healthy gums, eyes, and skin; and as an antioxidant and immune system stimulant.
People eat the fruit as food.
How does it work?
There are not enough studies about how camu camu works. Please discuss with your herbalist or doctor for more information. However, it is known that camu camu fruit contains many nutrients including vitamin C, beta-carotene, fatty acids, protein, and others. It also contains other chemicals that might have an effect on the body. However, there is not enough information to know how camu camu might work for treating or preventing any medical condition.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using camu camu?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist or herbalist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription.
- You have allergy with any substances of camu camu or other medications or other herbs.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
- You have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
The regulations for an herb are less strict than the regulations for a drug. More studies are needed to determine its safety. The benefits of taking this herb must outweigh the risks before use. Consult with your herbalist or doctor for more information.
How safe is camu camu?
There isn’t enough information to know if camu camu is safe when used as a medicine.
Special precautions & warnings
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of camu camu during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
What kind of side effects may I have from camu camu?
Camu camu may cause:
- Digestive problems
- Insomnia and appetite loss
- Chronic diarrhea
- Rapid heart rate
- Iron poisoning
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about side effects, please consult your herbalist or doctor.
What interactions may I have with camu camu?
Camu camu may interact with your current medications or medical conditions. Consult with your herbalist or doctor before using.
The information provided is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your herbalist or doctor before using this medication.
What is the usual dose for camu camu?
The dose for camu camu may be different for every patient. The dose that you take depends on your age, health, and several other conditions. Herb are not always safe. Please discuss with your herbalist or doctor for your appropriate dosage.
What form does camu camu come in?
Camu camu may be available in the following dosage forms:
- Camu camuberry powder
- Camu camu capsules
- Camu camu alcohol-free liquid extract
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Camu camu http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1243-camu%20camu.aspx?activeingredientid=1243&activeingredientname=camu%20camu Accessed August 9, 2017
CAMU CAMU https://jonbarron.org/herbal-library/foods/camu-camu Accessed August 9, 2017
Review Date: August 10, 2017 | Last Modified: September 12, 2019