Whoa! Can Sex Really Help Relief Your Migraine?

By Medically reviewed by Hello Doktor Medical Panel

Sex is undoubtedly one of life’s simplest pleasures (pun intended). The euphoria that surrounds your being when ‘hitting the sack’ with your spouse has been regarded as one of the fundamental keys to a happy marriage. Unbeknown to us, sex can actually benefit our bodies in a multitude of other ways as well. In fact, sex has been claimed to actually reduce the pain caused by migraines. Could this actually be true?

The Details that Lie Between the Sheets

According to a study conducted by Stefan Evers, a neurologist at the University of Münster in Germany, at least 1 out of 3 migraine sufferers have reported experiencing a relief of migraine-causing pain after sex.

The study also goes on to explain further that sexual activity helps in reducing pain through the release of endorphins, our body’s natural pain-killing hormones.

For that particular reason, many migraine sufferers are now of the belief that sexual intercourse with their partner is indeed one of the most therapeutic ways to reduce pain.

Studying a Thousand Individuals Who Suffer from Headaches

In Evers’ study, 800 migraine sufferers and an additional 200 cluster headache sufferers were surveyed to gauge their thoughts on the relation between sex and headache relief. The results? Astounding.

60% of the individuals surveyed agreed that sexual intercourse with a partner can indeed provide headache relief. On the contrary, the remaining 40% of individuals were of the belief that intercourse actually worsened the pain.

Which begs the question, does sex actually relief, or worsen your headaches?

Are Orgasms the Key to Unlocking Pain Relief?

According to Alexander Mauskop, neurologist and Director of the New York Headache Centre, achieving orgasms, which enables the release of endorphins, could help in reducing the pain caused by migraines due to its pain-killing nature.

However, he also pointed out that most migraine sufferers actually do not like to be touched as a result of sensitivity towards light, sound and touch. Therefore, it can be inferenced that sexual intercourse may not necessarily be the go-to for your migraine pain relief.

Conclusion

In short, yes, headaches can be relieved by the release of endorphins through the body. But each individual is different. If sex does not work for you, try incorporating other activities that helps release endorphins, such as exercise and indulging in laughter. And if sex does indeed work for you, then you owe it to yourself to live a life full of orgasms and happiness.

Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Read Also:

Share now :

Review Date: October 23, 2019 | Last Modified: November 8, 2019

You might also like