What is Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan) used for?
Twynsta® contains a combination of amlodipine and telmisartan.
Twynsta® may also be used for purposes.
How should I take Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan)?
Take Twynsta® exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
You may take Twynsta® with or without food, at the same time each day.
Keep using Twynsta® as directed, even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medicine for the rest of your life.
How do I store Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan)?
Twynsta® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Twynsta® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Twynsta® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Twynsta® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Twynsta® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Do not use Twynsta® if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby. Use effective birth control. Stop using Twynsta® and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
You should not use Twynsta® if you are allergic to amlodipine (Norvasc) or telmisartan (Micardis).
You may have very low blood pressure while taking this medicine. Call your doctor if you are sick with vomiting or diarrhea, or if you are sweating more than usual.
Your blood pressure will need to be checked often. You may also need frequent blood tests.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Twynsta® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Twynsta®. Twynsta® is pregnancy risk category D, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan)?
Common side effects may include:
- Swelling in your hands or feet
- Fast or pounding heartbeats
- Flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling)
- Back pain
- Stomach pain
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- A light-headed feeling, like you might pass out
- Shortness of breath (even with mild exertion)
- Rapid weight gain
- New or worsened chest pain
- Pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest
- Muscle stiffness or twitching
- High potassium such as nausea, slow or unusual heart rate, weakness, loss of movement
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction, such as hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
In rare cases, Twynsta® can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan)?
Twynsta® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products that may interact with this drug are:
- A diuretic or “water pill”
- Simvastatin (Zocor, Vytorin)
- Medicine to prevent organ transplant rejection – cyclosporine, tacrolimus
- An ACE inhibitor – benazepril, captopril, enalapril, fosinopril, lisinopril, moexipril, perindopril, quinapril, ramipril, trandolapril
- NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) – aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), celecoxib, diclofenac, indomethacin, meloxicam, and others
Does food or alcohol interact with Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan)?
Twynsta® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan)?
Twynsta® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
Health conditions that may interact with this drug are:
- Kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis)
- Liver disease
- Heart disease
- An electrolyte imbalance (such as low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood)
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan).
What is the dose of Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan) for an adult?
Initial dose is 40/5 to 80/5 mg orally once daily. Dosage should be individualized and may be increased after at least 2 weeks.
Maximum dose is 80/10 mg orally once daily.
What is the dose of Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Twynsta® (amlodipine and telmisartan) available?
Twynsta® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Twynsta® tablet: 40mg/10mg, 40mg/5mg, 80mg/10mg, 80mg/5mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Twynsta®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.