What is Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine) used for?
Lomotil® is commonly used for treating loose stools (diarrhea).
How should I take Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine)?
Use Lomotil® as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely. Take with or without food.
Follow how to take this medicine as you have been told by your doctor. Do not use more than you were told to use.
How do I store Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine)?
Lomotil® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Lomotil® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Lomotil® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Lomotil® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Lomotil® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
- You have any of these health problems: Loose stools caused by infection, loose stools caused by a very bad bowel problem (pseudomembranous colitis), or yellowing of the skin or eyes.
- Your child is younger than 13 years of age. Do not give this medicine to a child younger than 13 years of age.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Lomotil® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Lomotil®. Lomotil® is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine)?
Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Signs of a pancreas problem (pancreatitis) like very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up
- Signs of fluid and electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, very bad dizziness or passing out, fast heartbeat, more thirst, seizures, feeling very tired or weak, not hungry, unable to pass urine or change in the amount of urine produced, dry mouth, dry eyes, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up
- Trouble breathing, slow breathing, or shallow breathing
- Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
- A fast heartbeat
- Trouble passing urine
- Mood changes
- Change in the way you act
- Feeling confused
- Change in eyesight
- Very hard stools (constipation)
- Very bad belly pain
- Swelling of belly
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy
- Upset stomach or throwing up
- Not hungry
- Belly pain
- Dry mouth
- Dry skin
- Feeling tired or weak
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine)?
Lomotil® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine)?
Lomotil® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine)?
Lomotil® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine).
What is the dose of Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine) for an adult?
The recommended initial dosage is two tablets four times daily or 10 ml (two regular teaspoonfuls) of Lomotil liquid four times daily (20 mg per day).
Most patients will require this dosage until initial control has been achieved, after which the dosage may be reduced to meet individual requirements. Control may often be maintained with as little as 5 mg (two tablets or 10 ml of liquid) daily.
What is the dose of Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients under 2 years old. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Lomotil® (diphenoxylate and atropine) available?
Lomotil® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Tablets; liquid: diphenoxylate hydrochloride 2.5mg, atropine sulfate 0.025mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Lomotil®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.