What is Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii) used for?
Bioflor® is commonly used for general digestion problems, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBD), Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, Lyme disease, a bowel disorder called relapsing Clostridium Difficile Colitis, and bacterial overgrowth in short bowel syndrome. Especially, it is also used for treating and preventing diarrhea, including infectious types such as:
- Rotaviral diarrhea in children
- Diarrhea caused by gastrointestinal overgrowth by unwanted bacteria in adults
- Traveler’s diarrhea
- Diarrhea associated with tube feedings
- Diarrhea caused by the use of antibiotics
Bioflor® may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii)?
Do not use more than the recommendation of your doctor. You may take Bioflor® with or without food. Do not use different formulations (such as capsules together with powder) at the same time without medical advice. You may get too much of this product.
To use capsule formulation:
- You may swallow the capsule whole, or open it and sprinkle the contents directly onto your tongue.
- Drink at least 4 ounces of water or juice when swallowing the medicine.
To use oral powder formulation:
- Tear open the packet and empty the entire contents into at least 4 ounces of water, juice, or milk.
- Stir this mixture and drink all of it right away.
- To make sure you get the entire dose, add a little more water to the same glass, swirl gently and drink right away.
How do I store Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii)?
Bioflor® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Bioflor® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Bioflor® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Bioflor® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.A
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Bioflor® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using this medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication.
What side effects can occur from Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii)?
Bioflor® may cause following side effects, such as:
- Difficult breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii)?
Bioflor® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Taking Bioflor® with medications for fungal infections can reduce the effectiveness of Bioflor®. These medications for fungal infection include fluconazole (Diflucan), terbinafine (Lamisil), itraconazole (Sporanox), and others.
Does food or alcohol interact with Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii)?
Bioflor® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii)?
Bioflor® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii) for an adult?
For diarrhea associated with the use of antibiotics:
The recommended dose is 250-500 mg two to four times a day.
For diarrhea caused by Clostridium difficile:
The recommended dose is 1 gram daily for 4 weeks along with antibiotic treatment.
For Crohn’s disease:
- 250 mg three times daily has been used for up to 9 weeks.
- 1 gram daily in combination with usual treatment has also been used.
For ulcerative colitis:
The recommended dose is 205 mg three times daily.
What is the dose of Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii) for a child?
The recommended dose is one capsule/powder 250mg orally two times daily.
How is Bioflor® (saccharomyces boulardii) available?
Bioflor® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Bioflor® capsule 282.5 mg
- Bioflor® powder for oral suspension 282.5 mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Bioflor®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.