What is Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate) used for?
Viartril-S® is commonly used for all forms of degenerative osteoarticular disease. There are primary and secondary osteoarthrosis, e.g., cervical arthrosis, coxofemoral arthrosis, gonarthrosis, dorsal arthrosis, lumbosacral arthrosis, scapulohumeral arthrosis, periarthritis, lumbago, fractures, osteoarticular dystrophies, chronic and subacute arthritis.
How should I take Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate)?
- Use glucosamine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss taking a dose of glucosamine for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
- Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use glucosamine.
How do I store Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate)?
Viartril-S® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Viartril-S® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Viartril-S® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Viartril-S® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate)?
Glucosamine may cause drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how to react to this product. Using this product with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using this medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication.
What side effects can occur from Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate)?
Some side effects of Viartril-S® are:
- Upset stomach;
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate)?
Viartril-S® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate)?
Viartril-S® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate)?
Viartril-S® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate).
What is the dose of Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate) for an adult?
- Viartril-S® should be preferably taken at meals.
- Capsule: one 628-mg capsule up to 3 times daily for at least 6-8 weeks, up to 3-4 months. Treatment should be repeated every other 6 months or less according to medical prescription.
- Sachet: 1 sachet once daily for at least 6-8 weeks, up to 3-4 months. Repeat at intervals of 2 months. Treatment should be repeated every other 6 months or less according to medical prescription.
What is the dose of Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate) for a child?
This product is not recommended for use in children. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Viartril-S® (glucosamine sulfate) available?
Viartril-S® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Each 500-mg capsule contains crystalline glucosamine sulfate 628 mg equivalent to glucosamine sulfate 500 mg.
- Each sachet (powder for oral solution to be dissolved in water) contains crystalline glucosamine sulfate 1884 mg equivalent to glucosamine sulfate 1500 mg.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services (115) or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Viartril-S®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: November 27, 2016 | Last Modified: December 19, 2019
Viartril-S®. http://www.mims.com/philippines/drug/info/Viartril-S?type=full. Accessed October 20, 2016.
Glucosamine. https://www.drugs.com/cdi/glucosamine.html. Accessed October 20, 2016.
Viartril-S®. http://www.gmedication.com/?s=viartril-s. Accessed October 20, 2016.