What is Systane® (Propylene Glycol) used for?
Systane® is commonly used for the temporary relief of burning and irritation due to dryness of the eye.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of Systane® (Propylene Glycol) for an adult?
- Instill 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye(s) as needed.
What is the dose of Systane® (Propylene Glycol) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take Systane® (Propylene Glycol)?
Systane® eye drops product/preservative-free product:
- For external use only.
- Shake well before using.
- Instill 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye(s) as needed.
- Do not touch the tip of container to any surface to avoid contamination.
- Replace cap after each use.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use medication.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
It is also important to carry a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking with you in case of emergencies.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Systane®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
What side effects can occur from Systane® (Propylene Glycol)?
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
Systane® may cause these side effects, such as:
- Eye pain;
- Changes in vision;
- Redness or irritation of the eye(s).
If these side effects persist or last more than 72 hours, please stop use and ask a doctor.
What should I know before using Systane® (Propylene Glycol)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
- You have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
Do not use if:
- This product changes color or becomes cloudy.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Systane® or other medications.
Is it safe in specific conditions (e.g. pregnancy, breastfeeding, or surgery)?
Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using this medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication. This medication is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk;
- B=No risk in some studies;
- C=There may be some risk;
- D=Positive evidence of risk;
Not known if distributed into milk.
Always consult your health care provider prior to using Systane® if you are pregnant, breastfeeding.
What drugs may interact with Systane® (Propylene Glycol)?
Systane® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Systane® (Propylene Glycol)?
Systane® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
How do I store Systane® (Propylene Glycol)?
Systane® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Systane® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Systane® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Systane® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
How is Systane® (Propylene Glycol) available?
Systane® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Systane® Lubricant Eye Drops: Polyethylene Glycol 400 0.4%; or with Propylene Glycol 0.3%.
- Systane® Preservative-Free: Polyethylene Glycol 400 0.4%; or with Propylene Glycol 0.3%.
Hello Health Group tidak memberikan nasihat perubatan, diagnosis atau rawatan.