What is Spersacet® C used for?
Spersacet® C is an antibiotic. It works by killing or slowing the growth of sensitive bacteria.
How should I take Spersacet® C?
Take Spersacet® C by mouth with or without food. Drink with a full glass of water. Do not chew or crush.
How do I store Spersacet® C?
Spersacet® C is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Spersacet® C in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Spersacet® C that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Spersacet® C down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Spersacet® C?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Spersacet® C or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Use Spersacet® C with extreme caution in children younger 1 year. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
Use Spersacet® C with extreme caution in children younger 10 years who have diarrhea or a stomach or bowel infection.
Use Spersacet® C with extreme caution in premature and full-term infants because they may be more sensitive to the effects of chloramphenicol, especially the risk of “gray syndrome.”
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using this medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication.
What side effects can occur from Spersacet® C?
Check with your doctor if any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Mild diarrhea
Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side effects occur:
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness in the chest
- Swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue
- Dark urine
- Fever, chills, or sore throat
- Pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site
- Symptoms of “gray syndrome” in an infant (swelling of the abdomen, pale or blue skin color, vomiting, shock, difficulty breathing, refusal to suck, loose green stools, limp muscles, low temperature)
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Unusual tiredness
- Vision changes
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Spersacet® C?
Spersacet® C may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products may interact with this drug, including:
- Anticoagulants (e.g., warfarin) because side effects, including risk of bleeding, may be increased.
- Hydantoins (e.g., phenytoin) or sulfonylureas (e.g., glyburide) because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased.
- Medicines that may decrease your bone marrow (e.g., cancer chemotherapy) because the risk of serious side effects, such as low blood platelet levels and low white blood cell counts, may be increased; check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines may decrease your bone marrow.
Does food or alcohol interact with Spersacet® C?
Spersacet® C may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Spersacet® C?
Spersacet® C may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
These health conditions are:
- Bone marrow problems
- Liver disease
- Kidney problems
- A minor infection such as a cold, flu, throat infection
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Spersacet® C?
What is the dose of Spersacet® C for an adult?
The dose prescribed and how often the medicine needs to be taken depends on the severity of the infection. Chloramphenicol is usually taken four times a day.
Adults and elderly: the recommended dose is 500 mg every 6 hours to be taken by mouth.
What is the dose of Spersacet® C for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Spersacet® C available?
Spersacet® C is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Spersacet® C 250 mg capsules
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Spersacet® C, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.