What is Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate) used for?
Panangin® is commonly used for treatment of congestive heart failure, heart attacks, disorders of cardiac rhythm. It also helps to improve the cardiac glycoside tolerability and fulfill of potassium and magnesium deficiency.
How should I take Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate)?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. The solution is administered intravenously by your doctor.
How do I store Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate)?
Panangin® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Panangin® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Panangin® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Panangin® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any ingredients of Panangin® or other medications.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using this medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Panangin®. Magnesium aspartate in Panangin® is pregnancy risk category A, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk;
- B=No risk in some studies;
- C=There may be some risk;
- D=Positive evidence of risk;
What side effects can occur from Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate)?
Panangin® may cause these side effects, such as:
- Blood pressure reduction, paradoxical reaction, AV-blockade;
- Paresthesia, cramps, hyporeflexia;
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, discomfort in the area of the pancreas;
- Respiratory depression;
- Increased the level of magnesium and potassium in blood;
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate)?
Panangin® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
- Taking Panangin® with tetracycline may decrease the absorption of Tetracycline.
- Taking Panangin® and Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or Potassium-sparing diuretics may enhance the level of potassium in blood.
Does food or alcohol interact with Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate)?
Panangin® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate)?
Panangin® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have, especially:
- Heart failure;
- Myocardial infarction.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate) for an adult?
- Tablet: 1-2 tablets 2-3 times a day for 14 days
- Solution: a single dose of 1-2 ampoules, administered intravenously
What is the dose of Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Panangin® (magnesium aspartate, potassium aspartate) available?
Panangin® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Film-coated tablets (140mg magnesium aspartate, and 158mg potassium aspartate.).
- Solution for intravenous administration (400mg magnesium aspartate, 452mg potassium aspartate).
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services (115) or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Panangin®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.