What is Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine) used for?
Norgesic® is commonly used to treat injuries and other painful muscular conditions.
How should I take Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine)?
Take Norgesic® exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
Take each dose with a full glass of water.
Do not take more of this medication than is prescribed. If the pain is not being adequately treated, talk to your doctor.
How do I store Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine)?
Norgesic® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Norgesic® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Norgesic® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Norgesic® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Norgesic® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using this medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication. This medication is pregnancy risk category N, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine)?
Less serious side effects may occur, such as:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Blurred vision or large pupils
- Difficulty urinating
- Faint ringing in the ears
Stop taking this drug if you notice these side effects.
- An allergic reaction
- An irregular or a very fast heartbeat
- Abnormal behavior
- Red, black, or bloody stool
- Blood in vomit
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine)?
Norgesic® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products that may interact with your drug, such as:
- An anticoagulant such as warfarin (Coumadin), heparin, enoxaparin (Lovenox), dalteparin (Fragmin), danaparoid (Orgaran), ardeparin (Normiflo), or tinzaparin (Innohep)
- A nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, others), ketoprofen (Orudis, Orudis KT, Oruvail), naproxen (Naprosyn, Anaprox, Aleve), diclofenac (Voltaren, Cataflam), nabumetone (Relafen), oxaprozin (Daypro), piroxicam (Feldene), etodolac (Lodine), fenoprofen (Nalfon), flurbiprofen (Ansaid), indomethacin (Indocin), ketorolac (Toradol), sulindac (Clinoril), or tolmetin (Tolectin)
- Another salicylate such as aspirin (Acuprin, Ecotrin, Ascriptin, Bayer, others)
- Choline salicylate and/or magnesium salicylate (Magan, Doan’s, Bayer Select Backache Pain Formula, Mobidin, Arthropan, Trilisate, Tricosal), or salsalate (Disalcid)
Does food or alcohol interact with Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine)?
Norgesic® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine)?
Norgesic® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
Health conditions which may interact with this drug, including:
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- A stomach or intestinal ulcer or obstruction
- A bleeding or blood clotting disorder
- An enlarged prostate or a blockage of the urinary tract (difficulty urinating)
- Myasthenia gravis
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine).
What is the dose of Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine) for an adult?
The recommended dose is 1 to 2 tablets 3 to 4 times daily.
What is the dose of Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Norgesic® (aspirin/caffeine/orphenadrine) available?
Norgesic® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Norgesic®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.