What is Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL) used for?
Driptane ® is commonly used for treating:
- Urinary incontinence (involuntary daily or nocturnal enuresis)
- Urinary urgency (the need to urinate immediately)
- Excessive frequency of urination in unstable bladder
- Neurogenic vesical disorders (disorders bladder certain diseases of the nervous system)
How should I take Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL)?
To take this drug, you should:
- Followed exactly the doctor’s prescription.
- Take Driptane ® by mouth (Oral).
- Tablets should be taken before meals with a glass of water.
- They can be taken during a meal or a glass of milk in case of stomach pain.
How do I store Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL)?
Driptane ® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Driptane ® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Driptane ® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Driptane ® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL)?
Before using this drug, you should know that:
- Your doctor will see you again after 4 to 6 weeks to reassess your treatment.
- Oxybutynin should not be used to treat urinary incontinence, caused by stress or effort.
- Oxybutynin hydrochloride should be used with caution in elderly patients and in children who may be more sensitive to the effects of oxybutynin, and in patients with autonomic neuropathy, hiatus hernia or other severe gastrointestinal symptoms, liver and kidney disorders, tachyarrhythmia or cerebrovascular insufficiency.
- After administration of oxybutynin, it is possible to increase in the complaints in patients with hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid), certain heart problems (coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, cardiac arrhythmias, tachycardia) and prostatic hypertrophy (enlarged prostate volume). If you suffer from any of these diseases, contact your doctor.
- Chronic administration of oxybutynin may lead to discomfort due to salivary failure which can cause the occurrence of caries, periodontoklaziya (damage to the tissues that support the teeth) or candidiasis of the oral cavity (infection in the mouth, due to the microscopic fungi). In urinary tract infections should be given appropriate antimicrobial therapy.
- Under conditions of high ambient temperature, treatment with oxybutynin may cause decreased sweating and result in insufficient and unacceptable response by the mechanisms regulating the temperature by reflecting the emergence of heatstroke. This risk is increased by elderly or very young (the elderly, infants and children) or the presence of chronic disease (in particular cardiovascular, renal or psychiatric).
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
This drug should not be used during pregnancy unless clearly necessary, judged by your doctor. It should not be used during breastfeeding.
What side effects can occur from Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL)?
Some side effects can occur when using this drug, including:
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Mydriasis (widening of the pupil)
- Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)
- Stomach pain
- Difficulty in urinating (dysuria)
- Gastroesophageal reflux zofagealen
- Cognitive disorders (confusion, agitation, delirium)
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Blurred vision
- Increased intraocular pressure
- Development of narrow-angle glaucoma
- Dry eye
- Difficulty in micturition and urinary retention
- Dry skin
- Allergic reactions such as skin rashes, urticaria and angioedema
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL)?
Driptane ® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products may interact with this drug, such as:
- Atropine and other preparations containing atropine
- Imapriminovi antidepressants
- Sedative antihistamines HI
- Atropinic antispasmodic medicines
- Anti-Parkinsonian drugs
- Phenothiazine neuroleptics
Does food or alcohol interact with Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL)?
Driptane ® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL)?
Driptane ® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
Tell your doctor if you have:
- Neurological symptoms
- Gastrointestinal diseases
- Hepatic disease
- Kidney disease
- Urinary tract infection
- Abnormalities in heart rhythm
- Diseases of the brain
- Congenital galactose intolerance
- Poor absorption of glucose and galactose
- Deficiency syndrome lactose (rare metabolic diseases)
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL).
What is the dose of Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL) for an adult?
The starting dose is half a tablet, 3 times daily. The usual dosage is one tablet, 2 or 3 times daily.
Your doctor may increase the dose to a maximum of one tablet four times a day. If you are an elderly patient, the initial dose is half a tablet, twice a day. The usual dose is one tablet, twice daily.
What is the dose of Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL) for a child?
The starting dose is half a tablet, twice a day.
Children from 5 to 9 years old, the usual dose is 1/2 tablet, 3 times a day.
Children from 9 to 12 years old, the usual dose is one tablet, twice a day.
Children over 12 years, the usual dose is one tablet, 3 times a day.
How is Driptane ® (oxybutynin HCL) available?
Driptane ® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Driptane ® 5mg tablets
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Driptane®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group tidak memberikan nasihat perubatan, diagnosis atau rawatan.