What is Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat used for?
Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat is commonly used for:
- Temporarily relieves these common cold and flu symptoms:
- Temporarily reduces fever.
- Temporarily promotes nasal and/or sinus drainage.
- Helps loosen phlegm (mucus) and thin bronchial secretions to rid the bronchial passageways of bothersome mucus and make coughs more productive.
How should I take Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat?
Do not take more than directed (see overdose warning). Do not take more than 6 doses in any 24-hour period.
Measure only with dosing cup provided. Do not use dosing cup with other products.
Dose as follows or as directed by a doctor.
How do I store Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat?
Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
This product contains acetaminophen. Severe liver damage may occur if you take:
- more than 6 doses in 24 hours, which is the maximum daily amount.
- with other drugs containing acetaminophen.
- 3 or more alcoholic drinks daily while using this product.
If sore throat is severe, persists for more than 2 days, is accompanied or followed by fever, headache, rash, nausea or vomiting, consult a doctor promptly.
Do not use
- with any other drug containing acetaminophen (prescription or nonprescription). If you are not sure whether a drug contains acetaminophen, ask a doctor or pharmacist.
- for children under 12 years of age.
- if you are now taking a prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (certain drugs for depression, psychiatric, or emotional conditions, or Parkinson’s disease), or for 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you do not know if your prescription drug contains an MAOI, ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking this product.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat. Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat is pregnancy risk category N, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat?
Stop use and ask a doctor if:
- Nervousness, dizziness or sleeplessness occur.
- Pain, nasal congestion or cough gets worse or lasts more than 7 days.
- Fever gets worse or lasts more than 3 days.
- Redness or swelling is present.
- New symptoms occur.
- Cough comes back, or occurs with rash or persistent headache. These could be signs of a serious condition.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat?
Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat?
Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat?
Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat.
What is the dose of Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat for an adult?
The recommended dose is 20 ml in dosing cup provided every 4 hours.
What is the dose of Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat for a child?
Children 12 Years of Age and Older: The recommended dose is 20 ml in dosing cup provided every 4 hours.
Children Under 12 Years of Age: Do not use.
How is Mucinex®Cold, Flu & Sore Throat available?
Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Liquid, 6fl oz (180ml). In Each 20 ml: Acetaminophen (650 mg), Dextromethorphan HBr (20 mg), Guaifenesin (400 mg), Phenylephrine HCl (10 mg).
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Mucinex® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Maximum Strength Mucinex® Fast-Max® Cold, Flu & Sore Throat Liquid. http://www.mucinex.com/products/multi-symptom/maximum-strength-mucinex-fast-max-cold-flu-sore-throat-liquid/. Accessed January 7, 2017
MUCINEX FAST-MAX COLD, FLU AND SORE THROAT. https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=56931. Accessed January 7, 2017.
Review Date: June 26, 2017 | Last Modified: September 13, 2019