What is heptamyl (heptaminol HCL) used for?
Heptamyl is commonly used for these health conditions:
- Resuscitation of neonates
- Sexual deficiency not due to hormonal imbalance
- Hypotension (fainting tendency and slight to moderately severe circulatory
- Asthenia, nervous, and physical fatigue in general and sporting medicine
- Adjuvant treatment of mild and moderate cases of heart failure particularly
incipient pulmonary edema
- Heart failure associated with toxic, infectious, degenerative orarteriosclerotic
Heptamyl may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take heptamyl (heptaminol HCL)?
How to use tablets:
- Should be taken with food or take at meal times.
- Do not crush, break, or chew the tablets. Swallow tablet whole with a glass of water.
How to use injections:
Your health care provider will give it to you by intravenous/intramuscular injections.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use heptamyl.
How do I store heptamyl (heptaminol HCL)?
Heptamyl is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store heptamyl in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of heptamyl that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush heptamyl down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using heptamyl (heptaminol HCL)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of heptamyl or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions. Patients treated with theophylline derivatives.
- You have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
- You have to operate vehicles. Because taking heptamyl may not be safe to drive a vehicle or operate heavy machinery.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using heptamyl during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking heptamyl. Heptamyl is pregnancy risk category D, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from heptamyl (heptaminol HCL)?
Here are side effects may occur:
- Gastric pain
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with heptamyl (heptaminol HCL)?
Heptamyl may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Taking heptamyl with IMAO medications may increase the risk of over-hypertension.
Does food or alcohol interact with heptamyl (heptaminol HCL)?
Heptamyl may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with heptamyl (heptaminol HCL)?
Heptamyl may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have, especially:
- Cerebral edema
- Severe arterial hypertension
- Coronary insufficiency
- Hepatic insufficiency
- Gastro duodenal ulcer
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of heptamyl (heptaminol HCL) for an adult?
Fatigue and chronic hypotension:
2 tablets 3 times daily.
Shock, collapse, sudden hypotension:
2 ampoules intravenous injection or 1-2 ampoules deep intramuscular injection (repeated as required).
What is the dose of heptamyl (heptaminol HCL) for a child?
Shock, collapse, sudden hypotension:
2-5 ml intravenous/intramuscular injection (repeated as required).
Resuscitation of newborn infants:
2 ml injection into the umbilical cord.
How is heptamyl (heptaminol HCL) available?
Heptamyl is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Heptamyl tablet: 150 mg Heptaminol chlorhydrate
- Heptamyl injection: 250 mg/5 ml Heptaminol chlorhydrate
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
It is also important to carry a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking with you in case of emergencies.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of heptamyl, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group tidak memberikan nasihat perubatan, diagnosis atau rawatan.