What is Ecotrin® (Acetylsalicylic Acid) used for?
Ecotrin® is commonly used for reducing fever and relieving mild to moderate pain from conditions such as muscle aches, toothaches, common cold, menstrual pain, and headaches. It may also be used to reduce pain and swelling in conditions such as arthritis.
Ecotrin® is sometimes used to treat or prevent heart attacks, strokes, and chest pain (angina). Aspirin should be used for cardiovascular conditions only under the supervision of a doctor.
Ecotrin® may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of Ecotrin® (Acetylsalicylic Acid) for an adult?
- Usual dose:4-8 tabs every 4 hours while symptoms persist.
- Maximum dose:48 tabs/24 hours.
- Usual dose:1-2 tabs every 4 hours while symptoms persist.
- Maximum dose:12 tabs/24 hours.
What is the dose of Ecotrin® (Acetylsalicylic Acid) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take Ecotrin® (Acetylsalicylic Acid)?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food, swallow tablet with a glass of water.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use medication.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
It is also important to carry a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking with you in case of emergencies.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Ecotrin®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
What side effects can occur from Ecotrin® (Acetylsalicylic Acid)?
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
Ecotrin® may cause these side effects, such as:
- Signs of an allergic reaction:hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat;
- Black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- Coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- Severe nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain;
- Fever lasting longer than 3 days;
- Hearing problems, ringing in your ears.
Less serious side effects may include:
- Upset stomach
What should I know before using Ecotrin® (Acetylsalicylic Acid)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have a recent history of stomach or intestinal bleeding; a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia
- You have ever had an asthma attack or severe allergic reaction after taking aspirin or an NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) such as Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Orudis, Indocin, Lodine, Voltaren, Toradol, Mobic, Relafen, Feldene, and others.
Ecotrin® should not be given to a child or teenager who has a fever, especially if the child also has flu symptoms or chicken pox. Ecotrin® can cause a serious and sometimes fatal condition called Reye’s syndrome in children.
Is it safe in specific conditions (e.g. pregnancy, breastfeeding, or surgery)?
Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using this medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication. This medication is pregnancy risk category C, D in 3rd trimester, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk;
- B=No risk in some studies;
- C=There may be some risk;
- D=Positive evidence of risk;
Ecotrin® and its metabolites pass into breast milk in small quantities. Since no adverse effects on the infant have been observed after occasional use, interruption of breastfeeding is usually unnecessary. However, on regular use or on intake of high doses, breastfeeding should be discontinued early.
Always consult your health care provider prior to using Ecotrin® if you are pregnant, breastfeeding.
What drugs may interact with Ecotrin® (Acetylsalicylic Acid)?
Ecotrin® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
These products may interact with Ecotrin® include:
- Blood thinners (such as warfarin, heparin);
- Corticosteroids (such as prednisone), methotrexate, valproic acid;
- Herbal medications such as ginkgo biloba.
Does food or alcohol interact with Ecotrin® (Acetylsalicylic Acid)?
Ecotrin® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
How do I store Ecotrin® (Acetylsalicylic Acid)?
Ecotrin® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Ecotrin® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Ecotrin® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Ecotrin® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
How is Ecotrin® (Acetylsalicylic Acid) available?
Ecotrin® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Ecotrin® Safety Coated 325mg;
- Ecotrin® Safety Coated 81mg.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.