What is Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene) used for?
Isobar® is used to treat high blood pressure for preventing strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems. This medication is a combination of triamterene and hydrochlorothiazide. It causes you to make more urine, which helps your body get rid of extra salt and water.
Isobar® also reduces extra fluid in the body (edema) caused by conditions such as heart failure, liver disease, or kidney disease. This can lessen symptoms such as shortness of breath or swelling of your ankles or feet.
How should I take Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene)?
- Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually once daily in the morning with or without food. It is best to avoid taking this medication within 4 hours of your bedtime to prevent having to get up to urinate.
- If you also take certain drugs to lower your cholesterol (such as cholestyramine or colestipol), take this product at least 4 hours before or at least 4 to 6 hours after these medications.
- Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day. It is important to continue taking this medication even if you feel well. Most people with high blood pressure do not feel sick.
How do I store Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene)?
Isobar® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Isobar® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Isobar® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Isobar® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene)?
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if:
- You are allergic to triamterene or hydrochlorothiazide.
- You have any other allergies.
- Your medical history, especially of diabetes, gout, high level of potassium in the blood, kidney disease (including kidney stones), liver disease, lupus.
If your doctor informed you that you are intolerant to certain sugars, contact him/her before taking this medicine.
Do not take Isobar® in the following situations:
- Renal failure;
- Hepatic encephalopathy;
- Sulfonamide allergy;
- Triamterene allergy;
- In combination with other potassium-sparing diuretics and/or potassium salts.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using this medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication.
What side effects can occur from Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene)?
Like all medicines, Isobar® can cause side effects, including:
- Digestive upsets;
- Possibility of hepatic encephalopathy;
- Allergic reactions skin;
- Worsening of disseminated lupus erythematosus;
- Changes in skin appearance;
- Possibility of dehydration and orthostatic;
- Kidney stone;
- Bluish coloration of urine;
- Acute nephritis (very rare);
- Pancreatitis (very rare);
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene)?
Isobar® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
These products include:
- Other drugs that may increase potassium levels (such as spironolactone, amiloride, cyclosporine).
- Cough and cold products, diet aids, or NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, naproxen.
Does food or alcohol interact with Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene)?
Isobar® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene)?
Isobar® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene).
What is the dose of Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene) for an adult?
- The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment.
- The dosage is half to one tablet a day.
- Always keep strictly to your doctor’s prescription.
What is the dose of Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Isobar® (Methyclothiazide, Triamterene) available?
Isobar® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Each tablet contains Methyclothiazide 5 mg; Triamterene 150 mg.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services (115) or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Isobar®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: November 27, 2016 | Last Modified: December 19, 2019
Triamterene-Hydrochlorothiazide. http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-3154/triamterene-hydrochlorothiazide-oral/details#uses. Accessed October 23, 2016.
ISOBAR®. https://www.chiesi.fr/img/prodotti/documenti/Isobar.pdf. Accessed October 23, 2016.
Isobar®. http://www.medicatione.com/?c=drug&s=Isobar&ingredient=methyclothiazide/triamterene. Accessed October 23, 2016.
Isobar®. http://drugs-about.com/drugs-i/Isobar.html. Accessed October 23, 2016.