What is calea zacatechichi used for?
Calea zacatechichi has been used in folk remedies for thousands of years as an appetite stimulant, cleansing agent, calming agent, laxative. It is also used for the treatment of:
- Skin rashes
- Swollen scalps
- Cold stomach
- Psychic dreams, help remember dreams, and to increase dreaming
- Mental enhancement and sleep
Calea zacatechichi dried leaves and stems have been smoked, applied topically, placed under the pillow, made into a tea, and ingested as capsules.
How does it work?
There are not enough studies about how this herbal supplement works. Please discuss with your herbalist or doctor for more information. However, there are some studies showing that calea zacatechichi seems to have an effect on sleep that may cause lengthening of shallow sleep patterns, increased dream remembrance, and increased sleep awakenings throughout the night. Also, calea zacatechichi may reduce inflammation by inhibiting inflammatory chemicals made by the body.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using calea zacatechichi?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist or herbalist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription.
- You have allergy with any substances of calea zacatechichi or other medications or other herbals.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
- You have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
The regulations for an herbal supplement are less strict than the regulations for a drug. More studies are needed to determine its safety. The benefits of taking this herbal supplement must outweigh the risks before use. Consult with your herbalist or doctor for more information.
How safe is calea zacatechichi?
Pregnancy and breastfeeding:
Not enough is known about the use of calea zacatechichi during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
What kind of side effects may I have from calea zacatechichi?
Calea zacatechichi is possibly unsafe when taken by mouth or inhaled. It may cause hallucinations, nausea, and vomiting.
When smoked or consumed in a tea, calea zacatechichi may cause nausea, vomiting, and retching.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about side effects, please consult your herbalist or doctor.
What interactions may I have with calea zacatechichi?
This herbal supplement may interact with your current medications or medical conditions. Consult with your herbal healer or doctor before using.
These health conditions may interact with this herbal, such as:
- Alcohol/sedative use: Calea zacatechichi may slow down the central nervous system. Use caution in patients taking sedatives or CNS depressants (including alcohol).
- Allergies to ragweed or related plants: Calea zacatechichi may cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to the Asteraceae/Compositae family of plants. Members of this family include ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, and many other herbs.
- Breathing disorders: Calea zacatechichi may affect your rate of breathing. If you have a breathing disorder, such as asthma and COPD, you should use cautiously or avoid calea zacatechichi.
- Diabetes: Calea zacatechichi may lower blood sugar levels. People with diabetes should use with caution, and watch for signs of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).
- Cardiovascular disorders: Calea zacatechichi may decrease blood pressure. People with heart conditions or using blood pressure medications should use caution.
- Psychiatric disorders: Avoid use if you have psychiatric disorders or you are taking psychiatric medications. Calea zacatechichi may cause vivid imagery, disorienting effects, and hallucinations.
The information provided is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your herbalist or doctor before using this medication.
What is the usual dose for calea zacatechichi?
Pack the dry leaf extract into empty gel capsules and take 1-2 capsules after 4-6 hours of sleep. This gives you sufficient deep sleep before embarking on longer REM cycles.
The liquid tincture is made from the dried material and reduced down. Add this to a hot drink and consume either before bed, or better, after 4-6 hours of sleep then go back to sleep. Start with a small dose and work up each night to find your personal sweet spot (10-15ml is usually effective).
Make dream tea from the dry leaf extract, add plenty of honey and drink it slowly.
The dose for this herbal supplement may be different for every patient. The dose that you take depends on your age, health, and several other conditions. Herbal supplements are not always safe. Please discuss with your herbalist or doctor for your appropriate dosage.
What form does calea zacatechichi come in?
This herbal supplement may be available in the following dosage forms:
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.