What is Vesicare® (solifenacin) used for?
Vesicare® reduces muscle spasms of the bladder and urinary tract.
Vesicare® is used to treat symptoms of overactive bladder, such as frequent or urgent urination, and incontinence (urine leakage).
Vesicare® may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
How should I take Vesicare®® (solifenacin)?
Take Vesicare® exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Vesicare® is usually taken once per day with or without food. Follow your doctor’s instructions.
Take this medicine with water. Do not crush, chew, or break the tablet. Swallow it whole.
How do I store Vesicare® (solifenacin)?
Vesicare® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Vesicare® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Vesicare® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Vesicare® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Vesicare® (solifenacin)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Vesicare® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
You should not use Vesicare® if you have:
- Untreated or uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma
- A stomach disorder causing delayed emptying
- If you are unable to urinate
To make sure Vesicare® is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Trouble emptying your bladder (or you have a weak stream of urine)
- Slow digestion
- A blockage in your stomach or intestines
- A history of long QT syndrome
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Vesicare® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Vesicare®. Vesicare® is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Vesicare® (solifenacin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction to Vesicare®: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using Vesicare® and call your doctor at once if you have:
- Severe stomach pain, or constipation for 3 days or longer
- Pain or burning when you urinate
- Confusion, hallucinations
- Vision changes, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights
- Little or no urination
- Dehydration symptoms – feeling very thirsty or hot, being unable to urinate, heavy sweating, or hot and dry skin
- High potassium – nausea, slow or unusual heart rate, weakness, loss of movement
- Severe skin reaction – fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling
Common side effects may include:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Pain or burning when you urinate
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Vesicare® (solifenacin)?
Vesicare®® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products that may interact with this drug are:
- John’s wort
- An antibiotic – clarithromycin, telithromycin
- Antifungal medicine – itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- Heart or blood pressure medicine – nicardipine, quinidine
- Antiviral medicine to treat hepatitis or HIV/AIDS – atazanavir, boceprevir, cobicistat, delavirdine, efavirenz, fosamprenavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, telaprevir
- Seizure medicine – carbamazepine, phenytoin
- Tuberculosis medicine – isoniazid, rifampin
Does food or alcohol interact with Vesicare® (solifenacin)?
Vesicare® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Vesicare® (solifenacin)?
Vesicare® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Vesicare® (solifenacin).
What is the dose of Vesicare® (solifenacin) for an adult?
Usual Adult Dose for Urinary Incontinence:
5 mg orally per day.
Usual Adult Dose for Urinary Frequency:
5 mg orally per day.
What is the dose of Vesicare® (solifenacin) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Vesicare® (solifenacin) available?
Vesicare® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Tablet, film coated: solifenacin succinate 5mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Vesicare®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.