What is Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate) used for?
Unisom Sleep Tabs® is commonly used for helping people fall asleep and stay asleep.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate).
What is the dose of Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate) for an adult?
The recommended dose Unisom Sleep Tabs® for adults is 1 tablet, taken 30 minutes before going to bed, not more than 150 mg a day.
People who take higher doses of Unisom Sleep Tabs® should be followed a doctor’s care.
You don’t have to eat when you take Unisom Sleep Tabs®, but if you experience stomach discomfort, eat or have a snack before you take it.
What is the dose of Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate) for a child?
For children 12 years old or older
The recommended dose is 1 tablet, taken 30 minutes before going to bed, or as directed by doctor.
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate)?
- Take this medicine with food or milk if it upsets your stomach. Chew thoroughly before swallowing. For best results, take Unisom Sleep Tabs® 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Use your Unisom Sleep Tabs® every day, until your doctor advises you to stop. Do not take more than the recommended dose. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- Do not stop taking Unisom Sleep Tabs® or reduce the dose without talking to your doctor first.
- Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. This medicine is usually taken only for a short time until your symptoms clear up.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Unisom Sleep Tabs®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
What side effects can occur from Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate)?
Taking Unisom Sleep Tabs® can cause some side effects, such as:
- Signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat;
- Severe dizziness or drowsiness;
- Little or no urinating.
- Blurred vision;
- Dry mouth, nose, or throat;
- Mild dizziness or drowsiness.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
What should I know before using Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate)?
Before using Unisom Sleep Tabs®, tell your doctor if you have:
- Allergic reaction: to Unisom, excipients using for dosage form containing Unisom Sleep Tabs®. The information is detailed in the leaflet.
- Allergic reaction to any other medicines, foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
- Used any other health conditions, drugs that have a risk of interaction with Unisom Sleep Tabs®.
Is it safe in specific conditions (e.g. pregnancy, breastfeeding, or surgery)?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Unisom Sleep Tabs® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Unisom Sleep Tabs®. Unisom Sleep Tabs® is pregnancy risk category B, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk;
- B=No risk in some studies;
- C=There may be some risk;
- D=Positive evidence of risk;
Unisom Sleep Tabs® may pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Antihistamines may also slow breast milk production. Do not use this medicine without a doctor’s advice if you are breastfeeding a baby.
What drugs may interact with Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate)?
Unisom Sleep Tabs® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products may interact with this drug include:
- Antihistamines (such as cetirizine, diphenhydramine);
- Drugs for sleep or anxiety (such as alprazolam, diazepam, zolpidem);
- Muscle relaxants (such as carisoprodol, cyclobenzaprine);
- Narcotic pain relievers (such as codeine, hydrocodone).
Does food or alcohol interact with Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate)?
Unisom Sleep Tabs® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug, especially alcohol.
How do I store Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate)?
Unisom Sleep Tabs® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Unisom Sleep Tabs® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Unisom Sleep Tabs® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Unisom Sleep Tabs® own the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
How is Unisom Sleep Tabs® (doxylamine succinate) available?
Unisom Sleep Tabs® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Tablet: 25 mg.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.