What is Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol) used for?
Ultracet® is commonly used to treat moderate to severe pain.
How should I take Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol)?
Take Ultracet® exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Never take this medicine in larger amounts, or for longer than prescribed.
Ultracet® may be habit forming. Never share it with another person.
You may take Ultracet® with or without food, but take it the same way each time.
Do not stop using Ultracet® suddenly after long-term use, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to safely stop using the medicine.
How do I store Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol)?
Ultracet® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Ultracet® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Ultracet® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Ultracet® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Ultracet® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using this medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication. This medication is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol)?
Some side effects may occur when using this drug, such as:
- Tired feeling
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Feeling nervous or anxious
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol)?
Ultracet® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products that may interact with this drug, such as:
- Narcotic medications – opioid pain medicine or prescription cough medicine
- Drugs that make you sleepy or slow your breathing – a sleeping pill, muscle relaxer, sedative, tranquilizer, or antipsychotic medicine
- Drugs that affect serotonin levels in your body – medicine for depression, Parkinson’s disease, migraine headaches, serious infections, or prevention of nausea and vomiting.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or tramadol (Ultram)
- An MAO inhibitor (isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injections, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine)
Does food or alcohol interact with Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol)?
Ultracet® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol)?
Ultracet® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
These health conditions are:
- A history of drug or alcohol addiction
- A history of epilepsy or other seizure disorder
- A history of head injury
- A metabolic disorder
- An infection of your brain or spinal cord, such as meningitis or encephalitis
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol).
What is the dose of Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol) for an adult?
The initial dose of Ultracet® is 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours as needed for pain relief up to a maximum of 8 tablets per day. Do not take Ultracet® for longer than 5 days in a row.
Dosage Modification in Patients with Renal Impairment
In patients with creatinine clearances of less than 30 mL/min, do not exceed 2 tablets every 12 hours.
What is the dose of Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Ultracet® (acetaminophen and tramadol) available?
Ultracet® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Ultracet®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.