What is Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride) used for?
Tidact® is an antibiotic that fights bacteria in the body. Tidact® is used to treat serious infections caused by bacteria.
How should I take Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride)?
Take Tidact® exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Take the capsule with a full glass of water to keep it from irritating your throat.
How do I store Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride)?
Tidact® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Tidact® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Tidact® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Tidact® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Tidact® or other medications.
To make sure Tidact® is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- A history of colitis, Crohn’s disease, or other intestinal disorder
- A history of eczema, or allergic skin reaction
- Liver disease
- Asthma, or a history of severe allergic reaction to aspirin
- If you also take erythromycin
- If you are allergic to yellow food dye
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using this medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication. This medication is pregnancy risk category B, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride)?
Side effects may include:
- Pseudomembranous colitis (discontinue immediately)
- Abdominal cramps
- Transient leucopenia
- Erythema multiforme
- Local irritation, pain, abscess formation
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride)?
Tidact® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride)?
Tidact® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride)?
Tidact® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride).
What is the dose of Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride) for an adult?
Usual Adult Dose for Bacterial Infection
- Serious infection: 150 to 300 mg orally every 6 hours
- More severe infection: 300 to 450 mg orally every 6 hours
- Serious infection: 600 to 1,200 mg via IV infusion or IM injection per day, in 2 to 4 equally divided doses
- Severe infection: 1,200 to 2,700 mg via IV infusion or IM injection per day, in 2 to 4 equally divided doses
- More severe infection: Up to 4,800 mg via IV infusion per day
What is the dose of Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride) for a child?
Usual Pediatric Dose for Bacterial Infection
Body weight 10 kg or less: Minimum recommended dose: 37.5 mg orally three times a day
Body weight 11 kg or more:
- Serious infection: 8 to 12 mg/kg orally per day, in 3 to 4 equally divided doses
- Severe infection: 13 to 16 mg/kg orally per day, in 3 to 4 equally divided doses
- More severe infection: 17 to 25 mg/kg orally per day, in 3 to 4 equally divided doses
How is Tidact® (clindamycin hydrochloride) available?
Tidact® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Tidact®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: August 24, 2017 | Last Modified: December 19, 2019
Tidact®. https://www.drugs.com/dosage/clindamycin.html. Accessed May 8, 2017
Tidact®. http://www.tabletwise.com/singapore/Tidact-capsule. Accessed May 8, 2017