What is Poly Pred® used for?
Poly-Pred® drops are an antibiotic and steroid combination. It works by inhibiting the growth of bacteria and decreasing inflammation.
Poly Pred® is commonly used for treating infections and relieving the redness, irritation, and discomfort associated with certain eye problems.
How should I take Poly Pred®?
To use this drug in the right way, you should:
- Shake well before each use.
- To use Poly-Pred ® drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If your doctor prescribed more than 1 eye medicine, ask the best order for using each medicine.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Poly-Pred® drops. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
How do I store Poly Pred®?
Poly Pred® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Poly Pred® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Poly Pred® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Poly Pred® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Poly Pred®?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are allergic to any ingredient in Poly-Pred® drops.
- You have certain eye infections (e.g., herpes simplex, tuberculosis, fungal, mycobacterial, or viral infections), chickenpox, or an infection due to smallpox vaccination (vaccinia).
- You are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- You are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement.
- You have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances.
Also, there are some important safety information that you may notice:
- Poly-Pred® drops may cause blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Poly-Pred® drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 10 days or for future eye problems without checking with your doctor.
- Lab tests, such as eye exams, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Poly-Pred® drops while you are pregnant.
It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breastfeeding while you use Poly-Pred® drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
What side effects can occur from Poly Pred®?
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Blurred vision
- Temporary burning or stinging
Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side effects occur:
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness in the chest
- Swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue
- Changes in vision
- Continued or worsening itching, swelling, or irritation
- Discharge from eyes
- Eye pain
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Poly Pred®?
Poly Pred® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Poly Pred®?
Poly Pred® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Poly Pred®?
Poly Pred® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
These health conditions are:
- Optic nerve damage
- Thinning of the cornea
- Eye tissues
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Poly Pred®.
What is the dose of Poly Pred® for an adult?
To treat the eye
Instill 1 or 2 drops every 3 or 4 hours, or more frequently as required. Acute infections may require administration every 30 minutes, with frequency of administration reduced as the infection is brought under control.
To treat the lids
Instill 1 or 2 drops in the eye every 3 to 4 hours, close the eye and rub the excess on the lids and lid margins.
What is the dose of Poly Pred® for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Poly Pred® available?
Poly Pred® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- 5 ml in 10 ml bottle
- Prednisolone acetate 0.5%, neomycin (as sulfate) 0.35%, polymyxin B sulfate 10000 Units; per ml
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Poly Pred®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: February 18, 2017 | Last Modified: December 19, 2019
Poly-Pred drops. https://www.drugs.com/cdi/poly-pred-drops.html. Accessed November 15, 2016
Poly-Pred. http://www.rxlist.com/poly-pred-drug/indications-dosage.htm. Accessed November 11, 2016
POLY-PRED Rx. http://www.empr.com/poly-pred/drug/1211/. Accessed November 15, 2016.