What is Orlifit® (Orlistat) used for?
Orlifit® is commonly used for the long-term obesity management including weight loss, weight maintenance together with a reduced calorie diet and the risk of weight regain after weight loss, or other risk factors such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of Orlifit® (Orlistat) for an adult?
120 mg orally three times a day.
What is the dose of Orlifit® (Orlistat) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take Orlifit® (Orlistat)?
To use capsule properly:
- It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with each main meal containing fat. The dose may be taken during the meal or within 1 hour of completing the meal.
- Swallow tablet with a glass of water.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use medication.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
It is also important to carry a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking with you in case of emergencies.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Orlifit®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
What side effects can occur from Orlifit® (Orlistat)?
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
Orlifit® may cause these side effects, such as:
- Allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
- Problems with your teeth or gums;
- Cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, cough;
- Fever, chills, sore throat, flu symptoms;
- Back pain;
- Mild skin rash.
Stop using Orlifit® and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- Severe pain in your lower back;
- Blood in your urine;
- Urinating less than usual or not at all;
- Mood changes;
- Increased thirst;
- Weight gain;
- Feeling short of breath;
- Severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Fast heart rate;
- Loss of appetite;
- Clay-colored stools;
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
What should I know before using Orlifit® (Orlistat)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Orlifit® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions, such as a certain digestive problem (chronic malabsorption syndrome), a certain gall bladder problem (cholestasis), underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney stones problems (such as calcium oxalate kidney stones, hyperoxaluria), certain eating disorders (anorexia nervosa/bulimia), seizures.
- You have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
Is it safe in specific conditions (e.g. pregnancy, breastfeeding, or surgery)?
Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using this medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication. This medication is pregnancy risk category B, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk;
- B=No risk in some studies;
- C=There may be some risk;
- D=Positive evidence of risk;
Not recommended; not known if Orlifit® is distributed in breast milk.
Always consult your health care provider prior to using Orlifit® if you are pregnant, breastfeeding.
What drugs may interact with Orlifit® (Orlistat)?
Orlifit® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Here are medications may cause interaction with Orlifit®:
- May reduce the absorption of iodine salts and/or levothyroxine, fat-soluble Vitamins (A, D, E, K) and beta carotene.
- May decrease plasma levels of ciclosporin and amiodarone.
- May decrease the efficacy of antiepileptic drugs (e.g. valproate, lamotrigine), antiretrovirals, antidepressants, antipsychotics (including lithium).
- May cause hormonal contraceptive failure.
- May enhance the anticoagulant effect of warfarin.
- May increase the effect on glycaemic control of insulin or oral diabetes medicine.
Does food or alcohol interact with Orlifit® (Orlistat)?
Orlifit® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
How do I store Orlifit® (Orlistat)?
Orlifit® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Orlifit® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Orlifit® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Orlifit® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
How is Orlifit® (Orlistat) available?
Orlifit® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Orlifit® Capsule 120mg.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.