What is Nootropyl® (piracetam) used for?
Nootropyl® is commonly used for cerebral functional impairment such as loss of memory, lack of concentration or alertness and vertigo in the elderly. Myoclonus of cortical origin, irrespective of etiology should be used in combination with other antimyoclonic therapies.
How should I take Nootropyl® (piracetam)?
Nootropyl® may be taken with or without food. Always take Nootropil® Tablets exactly as your doctor has told you.
Your doctor will choose the dose that is right for you. Your dose will be shown clearly on the label that your pharmacist puts on your medicine. If it does not, or you are not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
For the tablet usage:
- Swallow the tablets whole with a glass of water.
- Do not break or chew the tablets as piracetam has a very bitter taste.
- If you find it difficult to swallow the tablets tell your doctor as soon as possible as they can prescribe piracetam in the form of a solution.
How do I store Nootropyl® (piracetam)?
Nootropyl® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Nootropyl® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Nootropyl® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Nootropyl® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Nootropyl® (piracetam) ?
Do not take Nootropil® if:
- You are allergic to the active ingredient of piracetam.
- You are allergic to any of the other ingredients of Nootropil®.
- You have ever had serious kidney problems.
- You suffer from Huntington‘s Disease.
- You have ever experienced a brain hemorrhage.
If any of these applies to you, do not take Nootropil® Tablets and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Check with your doctor before taking Nootropil® if:
- You think your kidneys may not be working perfectly.
- You have ever had any kind of bleeding problem.
Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- Thyroid extract or thyroxine.
- Anticoagulants such as warfarin or aceno-coumarol.
- Low dose aspirin.
- Any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using Nootropyl® during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Nootropyl®.
What side effects can occur from Nootropyl® (piracetam)?
- An allergic reaction and experience difficulty breathing, swelling, fever;
- Spontaneous bleeding caused by defects in your blood clotting mechanism;
- Worse fits;
- Difficulty balancing and unsteadiness when standing;
- Anxiety and agitation;
- Weight increase;
- Stomach pain;
- Feeling or being sick;
- Being unable to sleep;
- Swelling of the skin, particularly around the face;
- Skin rash and itching.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Nootropyl® (piracetam)?
Nootropyl® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects, such as thyroid hormones, acenocoumarol.
To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Nootropyl® (piracetam)?
Nootropyl® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Nootropyl® (piracetam)?
Nootropyl® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Nootropyl® (piracetam).
What is the dose of Nootropyl® (piracetam) for an adult?
- Taking 30-160 mg/kg/day orally or parenterally. Max: 24 g daily.
- Treatment of severe symptoms12 g daily as an IV infusion.
- Treatment of chronic psycho-organic brain syndromeElderly Initially 4.8 g daily. Maintenance: 1.2-2.4 g daily.
- Treatment of cortical myocloniasStarting dose: 7.2 g daily, increasing by 4.8 g daily every 3-4 days up to a max of 24 g daily.
What is the dose of Nootropyl® (piracetam) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Nootropyl® (piracetam) available?
Nootropyl® (piracetam) is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Nootropil 1200 mg film-coated tablets.
- Nootropil 1200mg film-coated tablets.
- Nootropil 1200mg tablets.
- Nootropil 33% oral solution.
- Nootropil 800mg film-coated tablets.
- Nootropil 800mg tablets.
- Nootropil infusion 12 g/60 ml.
- Nootropil inj 1 g/5 ml.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services (115) or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Nootropyl®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: October 26, 2016 | Last Modified: December 19, 2019
Nootropil https://www.mims.com/malaysia/drug/info/nootropil/?type=brief Accessed October 03, 2016.
Nootropil tablets 800mg. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/10030 Accessed October 03, 2016.