What is Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray used for?
Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray is commonly used for treating nasal congestion and sinus pressure caused by allergies, the common cold, or the flu by shrinking blood vessels in the nasal passages.
How should I take Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray?
To use the nasal spray, you should:
- Read the label carefully before using.
- Consult your doctor for any information on the label that you do not clearly understand
- Blow your nose gently.
- Keep your head upright and insert the tip of the bottle into one nostril.
- Press your other nostril closed with your finger.
- Breathe in quickly and gently spray the medicine into your nose.
- Then use the spray in your other nostril.
- Do not blow your nose for at least a few minutes after using the nasal spray.
- If the spray gets in your eyes or mouth or on your skin, rinse with water.
- After each use, clean the tip of the spray bottle with a clean tissue or rinse it with hot water, making sure that no water gets into the medicine bottle.
- Keep the cap on the bottle when not in use.
How do I store Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray?
Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicine.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray. Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray?
Some of side effects are listed below:
- Severe sneezing
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Redness or swelling in your nose
- Other worsening nasal symptoms (may be a sign of overuse of phenylephrine nasal)
- Severe stinging, burning, or irritation inside your nose
- Severe dizziness, restless feeling, nervousness, or insomnia
- Mood changes, unusual thoughts or behavior
- Tremors or shaking
- Little or no urination
- Temporary sneezing
- Mild burning, dryness, cold feeling, or irritation inside your nose
- Headache, dizziness, weakness
- Feeling excited or restless (especially in children)
- Mild sleep problems
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray?
Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray?
Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray?
Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray.
What is the dose of Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray for an adult?
The recommended dose for stuffy nose is two or three sprays of a 0.25 to 0.5% solution in the nose every four hours as needed.
What is the dose of Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray for a child?
For children older than 12 years of age: two or three sprays of a 0.25 to 0.5% solution in the nose every four hours as needed.
For children 6 to 12 years of age: two or three sprays of a 0.25% solution in the nose every four hours as needed.
For children 4 to 6 years of age: consult your doctor for more information.
For children and infants up to 4 years of age: Use of Neo-Synephrine is not recommended.
How is Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray available?
Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Nasal Spray, Phenylephrine HCl 0.5%
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Neo-Synephrine® Nasal Spray, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: June 29, 2017 | Last Modified: June 29, 2017
Neo-Synephrine (nasal spray). http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1063/neo-synephrine-12-hour-nasal-spray-oxymetazoline-nasal/details. Accessed January 5, 2016.
Neo-Synephrine. https://www.drugs.com/mtm/neo-synephrine-nasal.html. Accessed January 5, 2016.
Neo-Synephrine (nasal spray). http://neosynephrine.com/. Accessed January 5, 2016.