What is Kaopectate® used for?
Kaopectate® is commonly used for treating heartburn, upset stomach, indigestion, nausea, diarrhea, or symptoms associated with eating or drinking too much. It may be used to decrease the number of bowel movements and treat diarrhea.
Kaopectate® may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take Kaopectate®?
Follow all directions on your prescription label.
Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
To use this medication:
- Drink plenty of clear fluids to help prevent dehydration caused by diarrhea.
- Find right dose on chart. If possible, use weight to dose; otherwise use age.
- Shake well before using.
- Use only enclosed dosing cup specifically designed for use with this product. Do not use any other dosing device.
- Kaopectate® may be taken with or without food.
- Do not take tetracyclines (e.g., doxycycline) within 2 hours before or after taking Kaopectate®.
Stop use and ask a doctor if:
- Symptoms get worse.
- Diarrhea lasts for more than 2 days.
- You get abdominal swelling or bulging. These may be signs of a serious condition.
How do I store Kaopectate®?
Kaopectate® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Kaopectate® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Kaopectate® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Kaopectate® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Kaopectate®?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Kaopectate® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
- You have diabetes, gout, arthritis, fever, mucus in the stool, inflammation of the stomach, Kawasaki syndrome, kidney problems, chickenpox, the flu, or joint problems (in children), or you are dehydrated.
Do not use if you have bleeding problems (e.g., hemophilia), active bleeding ulcer, black or bloody stools, or Von Willebrand disease.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Kaopectate® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Kaopectate®. Kaopectate® is pregnancy risk category N, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Kaopectate®?
Kaopectate® may cause following side effects, such as temporary and harmless darkening of the tongue or stool.
Seek medical attention immediately if any of the side effects become severe and you have one of following symptoms:
- Allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue)
- Unusual decreased urination, unusual dry mouth/thirst, fast heartbeat, or dizziness/lightheadedness
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Kaopectate®?
Kaopectate® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products that may interact with this drug are:
- Valproic acid, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (such as acetazolamide), corticosteroids (such as prednisone), methotrexate
- Anti-platelet drugs such as clopidogrel, “blood thinners” such as dabigatran/enoxaparin/warfarin, among others
- Pain relievers/fever reducers (NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen)
Does food or alcohol interact with Kaopectate®?
Kaopectate® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Kaopectate®?
Kaopectate® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this Kaopectate®.
What is the dose of Kaopectate® for an adult?
Adults and children 12 years and over:
- One dose: 30 mL or 2 tablespoonfuls
- Repeat dose every 1/2 hour to 1 hour as needed
- Do not exceed 8 doses in 24 hours
- Use until diarrhea stops but not more than 2 days
What is the dose of Kaopectate® for a child?
Children under 12 Years: Ask a doctor.
How is Kaopectate® available?
Kaopectate® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Kaopectate: Liquid – 8.0 fl oz
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Kaopectate®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.