What is idoxuridine ophthalmic used for?
How should I take idoxuridine ophthalmic?
Idoxuridine ophthalmic comes as eye drops. To use the eye drops, follow these instructions:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Use a mirror or have someone else put the drops in your eye.
- Remove the protective cap. Make sure that the end of the dropper is not chipped or cracked and that the eye drops are not cloudy.
- Avoid touching the dropper tip against your eye or anything else.
- Hold the dropper tip down at all times to prevent drops from flowing back into the bottle and contaminating the remaining contents.
- Lie down or tilt your head back.
- Holding the bottle between your thumb and index finger, place the dropper tip as near as possible to your eyelid without touching it.
- Brace the remaining fingers of that hand against your cheek or nose.
- With the index finger of your other hand, pull the lower lid of the eye down to form a pocket.
- Drop the prescribed number of drops into the pocket made by the lower lid and the eye.
- Placing drops on the surface of the eyeball can cause stinging.
- Close your eye and press lightly against the lower lid with your finger for 2-3 minutes to keep the medication in the eye. Do not blink.
- Replace and tighten the cap right away. Do not wipe or rinse it off.
- Wipe off any excess liquid from your cheek with a clean tissue. Wash your hands again.
How do I store idoxuridine ophthalmic?
Idoxuridine ophthalmic is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store idoxuridine ophthalmic in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of idoxuridine ophthalmic that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush idoxuridine ophthalmic down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using idoxuridine ophthalmic?
Before using idoxuridine ophthalmic, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of idoxuridine ophthalmic or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using idoxuridine ophthalmic during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking idoxuridine ophthalmic. Idoxuridine ophthalmic is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from idoxuridine ophthalmic?
When using this drug, these following side effects may occur:
- Eye irritation or pain
- Swelling of the eye
- Increased sensitivity to light and glare
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with idoxuridine ophthalmic?
Idoxuridine ophthalmic may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with idoxuridine ophthalmic?
Idoxuridine ophthalmic may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with idoxuridine ophthalmic?
Idoxuridine ophthalmic may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using idoxuridine ophthalmic.
What is the dose of idoxuridine ophthalmic for an adult?
As 0.1% solution: Instill 1 drop in the affected eye(s) every hour. Taper to every 2 hour or 4 times daily. Continue treatment for at least 7 days.
What is the dose of idoxuridine ophthalmic for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is idoxuridine ophthalmic available?
Idoxuridine ophthalmic is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Eyedrop 0,1 %
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of idoxuridine ophthalmic, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group tidak memberikan nasihat perubatan, diagnosis atau rawatan.