What is Brintellix® (vortioxetine) used for?
Brintellix® is commonly used for treating depression.
How should I take Brintellix® (vortioxetine)?
For orally taken form, you should:
- Take Brintellix® by mouth as directed by your doctor concerning: dose, schedule.
- Read the label carefully before using Brintellix®.
- Consult your doctor for any information on the label that you do not clearly understand.
How do I store Brintellix® (vortioxetine)?
Brintellix® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Brintellix® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Brintellix® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Brintellix® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Brintellix® (vortioxetine)?
Before using Brintellix®, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Brintellix® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Brintellix® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Brintellix®. Brintellix® is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Brintellix® (vortioxetine)?
Some of side effects are:
- difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
- Dry mouth
- Blood in the stool or urine
- Decreased urine output
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Increased thirst
- Large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- Muscle pain or cramps
- Nausea or vomiting
- Nose bleeds
- Overactive reflexes
- Poor coordination
- Red or purple spots on the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the face, ankles, or hands
- Talking or acting with excitement you cannot control
- Trembling or shaking
- Unusual bruising
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Vomiting blood
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Brintellix® (vortioxetine)?
Brintellix® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Brintellix® (vortioxetine)?
Brintellix® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Brintellix® (vortioxetine)?
Brintellix® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Brintellix® (vortioxetine).
What is the dose of Brintellix® (vortioxetine) for an adult?
Recommended dose is 10 milligrams (mg) once per day. Your doctor may adjust your dose as needed and tolerated. However, the dose is not more than 20 mg per day.
What is the dose of Brintellix® (vortioxetine) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Brintellix® (vortioxetine) available?
Brintellix® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Film coated tablets, 10 mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Brintellix®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group tidak memberikan nasihat perubatan, diagnosis atau rawatan.