What is Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate) used for?
Apo-Dimenhydrinate® is commonly used for prevention and treatment of nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate).
What is the dose of Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate) for an adult?
The recommended dose of Apo-Dimenhydrinate® is 50 to 100 mg orally every 4 to 6 hours. The recommended maximum dose is not more than 400 mg in 24 hours.
What is the dose of Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate) for a child?
The recommended dose of Apo-Dimenhydrinate® for children are:
- From 2 to 5 years old, 12.5 to 25 mg taken orally every 6 to 8 hours. The recommended maximum dose is not more than 75 mg in 24 hours.
- From 6 to 11 years old, 25 to 50 mg orally every 6 to 8 hours. The recommended maximum dose is not more than 150 mg in 24 hours.
- For children more than 12 years old, 50 to 100 mg orally every 4 to 6 hours. The recommended maximum dose is not more than 400 mg in 24 hours.
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate)?
- Dimenhydrinate can be taken by mouth with or without food.
- The first dose should be taken 30 minutes to 1 hour before you travel or begin motion activity.
- Follow the directions on the package carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand.
- Take dimenhydrinate exactly as directed.
- Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than directed by the package label.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
Symptoms of overdose may include:
- Large pupils (black circles in the centers of the eyes);
- Flushed face;
- Drowsiness or sleepiness;
- Excitation or hyperactivity;
- Hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist);
- Difficulty understanding reality;
- Difficulty speaking or swallowing;
- Unresponsiveness or coma (loss of consciousness for a period of time).
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Apo-Dimenhydrinate®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
What side effects can occur from Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate)?
Taking Apo-Dimenhydrinate® can cause some side effects, such as:
- Excitement or hyperactivity (especially in children);
- New or worsening dizziness;
- Blurred vision;
- Ringing in the ears;
- Dry mouth, nose, or throat;
- Problems with coordination;
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat;
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
What should I know before using Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate)?
Before using Apo-Dimenhydrinate®, tell your doctor if you have:
- Allergic reaction: to Apo-Dimenhydrinate®, excipients using for dosage form containing Apo-Dimenhydrinate®. The information is detailed in the leaflet.
- Allergic reaction to any other medicines, foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
- Any other health conditions, drugs that have a risk of interaction with Apo-Dimenhydrinate® as listed below:
- Liver or kidney disease;
- Enlarged prostate and urination problems;
- Heart disease, high pressure;
- A history of seizures;
- Blockage in your digestive tract (stomach or intestines);
- Overactive thyroid;
- Asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, or other breathing disorder.
Is it safe in specific conditions (e.g. pregnancy, breastfeeding, or surgery)?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Apo-Dimenhydrinate® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Apo-Dimenhydrinate®.
What drugs may interact with Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate)?
Apo-Dimenhydrinate® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products that interact with Apo-Dimenhydrinate® are:
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics such as such as amikacin (Amikin);
- Gentamicin (Garamycin);
- Kanamycin (Kantrex);
- Neomycin (Neo-Rx, Neo-Fradin);
- Netilmicin (Netromycin);
- Paromomycin (Humatin);
- Tobramycin (Tobi, Nebcin);
- Antidepressants such as amitriptyline (Elavil);
- Amoxapine (Asendin);
- Clomipramine (Anafranil);
- Desipramine (Norpramin);
- Doxepin (Adapin, Sinequan);
- Imipramine (Tofranil);
- Nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor);
- Protriptyline (Vivactil);
- Trimipramine (Surmontil);
- Antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine;
- Cough and cold Apo-medications;
- Ipratropium (Atrovent);
- Medications for anxiety, irritable bowel disease, mental illness, Parkinson’s disease, seizures, ulcers, or urinary problems;
- Narcotic or strong pain relievers or muscle relaxants;
- Sleeping pills;
Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
Does food or alcohol interact with Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate)?
Apo-Dimenhydrinate® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
How do I store Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate)?
Apo-Dimenhydrinate® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Apo-Dimenhydrinate® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Apo-Dimenhydrinate® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Apo-Dimenhydrinate® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
How is Apo-Dimenhydrinate® (Dimenhydrinate) available?
Apo-Dimenhydrinate® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Chewable tablets, 50 mg.
Hello Health Group tidak memberikan nasihat perubatan, diagnosis atau rawatan.