What is Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol) used for?
Anoro Ellipta® is an inhalation powder containing a combination of umeclidinium and vilanterol. Umeclidinium is an anticholinergic. Vilanterol is a bronchodilator. These medications work by relaxing muscles in the airways to improve breathing.
Anoro Ellipta® is used to prevent airflow obstruction or bronchospasm in people with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
Anoro Ellipta® may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
How should I take Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol)?
Use Anoro Ellipta® exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Using this medicine improperly can cause death or serious side effects on the heart.
You may need to stop using other COPD medications you have been using in the past on a regular basis. Carefully follow your doctor’s dosing instructions.
The usual dose of this medicine is 1 inhalation per day. Use the medicine at the same time each day, and not more than once in a 24-hour period.
Anoro Ellipta® will not work fast enough to treat a bronchospasm attack. Use only a fast-acting inhalation medicine for an attack. Tell your doctor if any of your medicines seem to stop working as well in controlling your COPD.
Anoro Ellipta® is a powder that comes with a special inhaler device preloaded with blister packs containing measured doses of the medicine. The device opens and loads a blister of Anoro Ellipta® each time you use the inhaler. Follow the patient instructions provided with the inhaler device.
Seek medical attention if your breathing problems do not improve, or if your symptoms get worse quickly.
How do I store Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol)?
Anoro Ellipta® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Anoro Ellipta® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Anoro Ellipta® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Anoro Ellipta® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Anoro Ellipta® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
- You are allergic to umeclidinium, vilanterol, or milk proteins. Anoro Ellipta® is for use only in people with COPD and should not be used to treat asthma.
Vilanterol may increase the risk of death in people with asthma, but the risk in people with COPD is not known. Talk with your doctor about your individual risks and benefits of using this medicine. Follow all patient instructions for safe use.
It is not known whether Anoro Ellipta® will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether umeclidinium and vilanterol passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while using this medicine.
Anoro Ellipta® is for use only in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and should not be used to treat asthma.
Anoro Ellipta® will not work fast enough to treat a bronchospasm attack. Use only a fast acting inhalation medicine for an attack.
Anoro Ellipta® is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Anoro Ellipta® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Anoro Ellipta®. Anoro Ellipta® is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any signs of an allergic reaction to Anoro Ellipta®: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- Wheezing, choking, or other breathing problems after using this medication
- Chest pain
- Fast or pounding heartbeats
- Tremors, nervousness
- Blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain or redness, or seeing halos around lights
- Painful or difficult urination, urinating more or less than usual
- Increased blood pressure – severe headache, blurred vision, pounding in your neck or ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain
- High blood sugar – increased thirst or urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor
- Low potassium – leg cramps, constipation, irregular heartbeats, numbness or tingling, muscle weakness or limp feeling
Common side effects may include:
- Stuffy nose, sinus pain, sore throat
- Mild chest pain, cough with mucus
- Diarrhea, constipation
- Muscle spasms
- Pain in your neck, arms, or legs
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol)?
Anoro Ellipta® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products that may interact with this drug are:
- An antibiotic, antifungal medicine, or antiviral medicine (to treat hepatitis C or HIV/AIDS)
- Bladder or urinary medicines
- Other bronchodilators
- Cold or allergy medicine that contains an antihistamine
- Medication for Parkinson’s disease
- Medication to treat excess stomach acid, stomach ulcer, motion sickness, or irritable bowel syndrome
Does food or alcohol interact with Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol)?
Anoro Ellipta® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol)?
Anoro Ellipta® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
Health conditions that may interact with this drug are:
- Heart disease, high blood pressure
- Epilepsy or other seizure disorder
- Liver disease
- Narrow-angle glaucoma
- Diabetes (or ketoacidosis)
- Thyroid disorder
- An enlarged prostate, bladder obstruction or other urination problems
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol).
What is the dose of Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol) for an adult?
Usual Adult Dose for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease – Maintenance:
1 inhalation once daily by the oral inhalation route only.
Maximum dose: Do not use more than one time in 24 hours.
Use at same time each day.
What is the dose of Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Anoro Ellipta® (umeclidinium and vilanterol) available?
Anoro Ellipta® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Inhalation powder
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Anoro Ellipta®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.