What is Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic) used for?
Alaway® is commonly used for treating itching of the eyes caused by an allergy to dust, pollen, animals, or other allergens.
How should I take Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic)?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Do not use this medicine while wearing contact lenses. Alaway® may contain a preservative that can discolor soft contact lenses. Wait at least 10 minutes after using this medicine before putting in your contact lenses.
Wash your hands before using the eye drops.
To apply the eye drops:
- Tilt your head back slightly and pull down your lower eyelid to create a small pocket. Hold the dropper above the eye with the tip down. Look up and away from the dropper and squeeze out a drop.
- Close your eyes for 2 or 3 minutes with your head tipped down, without blinking or squinting. Gently press your finger to the inside corner of the eye for about 1 minute, to keep the liquid from draining into your tear duct.
- Use only the number of drops your doctor has prescribed. If you use more than one drop, wait about 5 minutes between drops.
- Wait at least 10 minutes before using any other eye drops your doctor has prescribed.
Do not touch the tip of the eye dropper or place it directly on your eye. A contaminated dropper can infect your eye, which could lead to serious vision problems.
Do not use the eye drops if the liquid has changed colors or has particles in it. Call your pharmacist for new medicine.
Call your doctor if your eye itching does not improve, or if it lasts longer than 72 hours.
How do I store Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic)?
Alaway® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Alaway® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Alaway® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Alaway® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Alaway® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
You should not use Alaway® if you have:
- An untreated eye infection
- Eye irritation caused by wearing contact lenses
Alaway® is not approved for use by anyone younger than 3 years old.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Alaway® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Alaway®. Alaway® is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic)?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using Alaway® and call your doctor at once if you have:
- Redness, drainage, eyelid swelling, or other signs of infection
- Eye pain
- Vision changes
- Severe itching of the eyes worse than before using the Alaway®.
Common side effects may include:
- Mild burning, stinging, or eye irritation
- Dryness of the eyes
- Increased sensitivity to light
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic)?
Alaway® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic)?
Alaway® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic)?
Alaway® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic).
What is the dose of Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic) for an adult?
Usual Adult Dose for Allergic Conjunctivitis
Instill 1 drop in the affected eye(s) 2 times a day.
What is the dose of Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic) for a child?
Usual Pediatric Dose for Allergic Conjunctivitis
Age: 3 years and older
Instill 1 drop in the affected eye(s) 2 times a day.
How is Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic) available?
Alaway® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Eye drops
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Alaway®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.