What is Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical) used for?
Tiger Balm® is a topical pain reliever made from herbal and plant-based sources. It is promoted as a remedy for joint and muscle pain associated with arthritis and minor injury, as well as headaches and muscle tension.
How should I take Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical)?
- Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Wash your hands before and after applying this medicine.
- For your first use, apply only to a small skin area to test how your skin reacts to the medicine.
- Camphor and menthol can cause a burning or cold sensation, which is usually mild and should lessen over time with continued use. If this sensation causes significant discomfort, wash the skin with soap and water.
- Do not use on sunburned, windburned, dry, chapped, irritated, or broken skin. Do not cover treated skin with a bandage or expose it to heat from a hot tub, heating pad, or sauna.
- Do not apply this medicine within 1 hour before or 30 minutes after you take a bath or shower.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after 7 days of treatment, or if you have a fever with a headache or a skin rash. Also call your doctor if you still have pain, or if the pain goes away and then comes back within a few days.
- Store at room temperature. Keep the medicine tightly closed when not in use.
How do I store Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical)?
Tiger Balm® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Tiger Balm® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Tiger Balm® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Tiger Balm® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical)?
- Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to use this medicine if you have sensitive skin.
- Do not use this medicine on a baby or young child without a doctor’s advice.
- Do not use this medicine without medical advice if you are pregnant or breastfeeding a baby.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using Tiger Balm® during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Tiger Balm®.
What side effects can occur from Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical)?
- Difficult breathing;
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical)?
Tiger Balm® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical)?
Tiger Balm® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical)?
Tiger Balm® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical).
What is the dose of Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical) for an adult?
Use amount of sufficient Tiger Balm® directly on pain location.
What is the dose of Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Tiger Balm® (camphor and menthol topical) available?
Tiger Balm®mis available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services (115) or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Tiger Balm®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.