What is Clamoxyl® (amoxicillin) used for?
Clamoxyl® is commonly used for infection caused by bacteria such as tonsillitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and infections of the ear, nose, throat, skin, or urinary tract.
Clamoxyl® is also sometimes used together with another antibiotic called clarithromycin (Biaxin) to treat stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori infection. This combination is sometimes used with a stomach acid reducer called lansoprazole (Prevacid).
How should I take Clamoxyl® (amoxicillin)?
- Take Clamoxyl® exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Take this medicine at the same time each day.
- While using Clamoxyl®, you may need frequent blood tests. Your kidney and liver function may also need to be checked.
- If you are taking Clamoxyl® with clarithromycin and/or lansoprazole to treat stomach ulcer, use all of your medications as directed. Read the medication guide or patient instructions provided with each medication. Do not change your doses or medication schedule without your doctor’s advice.
- Use this medicine for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Skipping doses may also increase your risk of further infection that is resistant to antibiotics. Clamoxyl® will not treat a viral infection such as the flu or a common cold.
- Do not share this medicine with another person, even if they have the same symptoms you have.
- This medicine can cause unusual results with certain medical tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using Clamoxyl®.
How do I store Clamoxyl® (amoxicillin)?
Clamoxyl® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Clamoxyl® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Clamoxyl® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Clamoxyl® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Clamoxyl® (amoxicillin)?
- Do not use this medication if you are allergic to Clamoxyl® or to any other penicillin antibiotic.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to cephalosporins such as Omnicef, Cefzil, Ceftin, Keflex, and others. Also tell your doctor if you have asthma, liver or kidney disease, a bleeding or blood clotting disorder, mononucleosis or any type of allergy.
- Clamoxyl® can make birth control pills less effective.
- Clamoxyl® can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding a baby.
- Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or bloody, stop taking Clamoxyl® and call your doctor. Do not use anti-diarrhea medicine unless your doctor tells you.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using Clamoxyl® during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Clamoxyl®.
What side effects can occur from Clamoxyl® (amoxicillin)?
- Allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips or tongue;
- Breathing problems;
- Dark urine;
- Redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth;
- Stomach upset;
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Clamoxyl® (amoxicillin)?
Clamoxyl® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects, such as Anticoagulants, allopurinol, probenecid, Chloramphenicol, macrolides, sulfonamides, and tetracyclines.
To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Clamoxyl® (amoxicillin)?
Clamoxyl® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Clamoxyl® (amoxicillin)?
Clamoxyl® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Clamoxyl®.
What is the dose of Clamoxyl® (amoxicillin) for an adult?
The usual adult dose is 500 mg orally every 8 hours. In case Bacterial Endocarditis Prophylaxis, 2 g orally given one hour prior to the procedure.
What is the dose of Clamoxyl® (amoxicillin) for a child?
50 mg/kg to 80mg/kg orally as a single dose 1 hour prior to the procedure.
How is Clamoxyl® (Amoxicillin) available?
Clamoxyl® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Clamoxyl® (Amoxicillin) powder: 250mg, 500mg.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services (115) or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Clamoxyl®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group tidak memberikan nasihat perubatan, diagnosis atau rawatan.