Nowadays, children may spend a lot of time on social networks. Although social networks have many benefits, there are also risks. Here are some cyber safety tips to keep your children safe while using the Internet.
Explain to your kids about the danger of social networks
According to a recent study, most children involved in risky situations are the ones who interact with strangers in private chat rooms, offer their detailed information or go out to meet stranger people. Also, sexting and cyber-harassment have increased every day. With these dangers, it could be easy to understand when parents feel worried about kids using the Internet even with strict parental control.
Instead of banning or freaking out when your kids use the Internet, you should explain about the potential danger of social networks. This could be the sexual predators on the Internet or the perils of texting with sexual implication and private images. Also, make sure your children remember the dos and don’ts of online safety.
Cyber safety tips for kids
- Encourage your children to tell you right away if they come across something uncomfortable on the Internet.
- Ask them not to give personal information such as their address, the home phone or your phone number to anyone without checking with you first.
- Tell them that they should never go out with the stranger they’ve just met online without asking for your permission. If you don’t see any danger in the meeting, ask your kid meet that person in a public place and you should go with your kid.
- Teach them how to post safe selfies of themselves or others online. It could be an appropriated picture that does not look sexual.
- Do not make war on a social network.
- Do not do something illegal on a social network.
- Only allow them to use the Internet for a few hours per day and give them rules on what kinds of websites they can visit. Make it clear that they have to follow your rules or you will not let them use the Internet.
- Ask them to keep their passwords to themselves.
- For the safety of your children, make sure to know the websites that they surf and the software they download and install. Let your children know that they should be careful when downloading software online because they may contain viruses that can damage the computer and steal important information such as bank accounts or security number.
You might also want to read:
- Should Your Spy on Your Teens’ Online Activities?
- Computers Hurt Kids’ Eyes
- How to Supervise Your Child’s Computer Use
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: August 30, 2017 | Last Modified: August 30, 2017
Cyber safety for kids. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/cyber-safety-kids#1. Accessed April 28, 2017.
Kid’s rules for online safety. http://www.safekids.com/kids-rules-for-online-safety/. Accessed April 28, 2017.