What if one day your baby needs to wean from breastfeeding? What are possible alternatives for breast milk, which are also nutritious and delicious? The answer is arrowroot. Follow us to discover amazing benefits of arrowroot to your baby’s health.
What is arrowroot?
Arrowroot plant has a scientific name of Maranta arundinaceae. Arrowroot’s best form to consume is arrowroot starch, which is a fine powder. The starch is extracted from the roots of the plant.
Why should you give your baby arrowroot?
Arrowroot is good for babies due to its amazing nutritional value. As a thickening agent, arrowroot is the best option. You can use arrowroot starch to make the formula milk or any foods of your baby thicker.
Arrowroot is the powerhouse of B vitamins such as thiamine, pyridoxine, riboflavin, niacin and pantothenic acid. B-complex vitamins are crucial in synthesizing fat, carbohydrate, and proteins in your baby’s body.
Arrowroot is also packed with folates. Folate has the properties to support cell division and DNA synthesis.
Arrowroot is also rich in potassium. Potassium plays such as role in regulating your baby’s heart rate.
Besides, there are iron, magnesium, zinc and other minerals presenting in arrowroot that all contribute to the normal body function and healthy growth of your baby.
Plus, arrowroot triggers no allergic reactions since it is gluten free. In addition, Arrowroot is an easily digested food, which is suitable for a baby who is in his first step of eating solid foods.
Other health benefits of arrowroot
- Help the baby have a healthy digestive system. It’s also helpful in treating
- Play as a treatment for urinary infection.
- Be a good soothing agent. Arrowroot can reduce pain or discomfort posed by a sore, cut, blemish or rash. It also works in relieving painful gums or burning feelings.
How to prepare arrowroot for your baby?
You can give your baby arrowroot in different ways, including:
- Mix arrowroot starch with milk (breast milk or formulas) to have a thicker mixture to feed your baby.
- Mix arrowroot powder with basic vegetable purees. The purees can be from beetroot, sweet potato, peas or carrot. To spice up, you can add a little salt and butter to the mixture.
- Make arrowroot into porridge or jelly. Your baby will love his eating experience thanks to those cute cubes of food.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: August 30, 2017 | Last Modified: August 30, 2017
3 Amazing Benefits Of Arrowroot For Your Baby. http://www.momjunction.com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-arrowroot-for-your-baby_0098559/#gref. Accessed June 01, 2017.