Most women have vaginal yeast infections at some points in their life. Surprisingly, one of the possible causes of this health issue is wearing tight underwear.
Wearing tight underwear can lead to vaginal yeast infections
Vaginal yeast infection is not a sexually transmitted infection. Your vagina has both healthy and unhealthy bacteria. These bacteria are balanced. Most of vaginal yeast infections are caused by a fungus called Candida albicans, Candida, or yeast. When this yeast overgrows in your vagina, you have a yeast infection.
Wearing non-cotton, dirty, or tight underwear can trigger the overgrowth of Candida. These types of underwear trap warmth and moisture. This is the suitable environment for Candida to multiply uncontrollably.
There are other possible causes of vaginal yeast infections
You have a higher risk for vaginal yeast infections if you have some special conditions, such as:
- You have diabetes and your blood sugar levels are not under control.
- You are pregnant.
- You are obese or overweight.
- You use birth control pills. These pills have high doses of estrogen.
- Your immune system is weakened because of other health condition. For example, you have HIV
- You take medicines. Antibiotics can affect the balance of healthy and unhealthy in your vagina.
- You are stressful.
- You do not get enough sleep.
- You are having your period.
What are the symptoms?
When you have vaginal yeast infections, you may experience these symptoms:
- You feel itchy in and around your vagina.
- You have abnormal discharges: slightly watery, white discharge, thick, chunky discharge. These discharges do not have bad smell.
- You feel painful when urine passes.
- Your vagina is red, swollen, and burning.
- You feel pain in the vagina when having vaginal sex.
Your symptoms may range from mild to severe.
How to prevent vaginal yeast infections from underwear?
It is better to wear a skirt without underwear. If you feel too shy, you can continue to wear underwear, but you should choose undyed, unbleached cotton underwear. You should also choose breathable clothes. Do not wear tight underwear, pants, or jeans. These types of clothes can cause irritation, increase heat, and trap moisture in the vaginal area.
Change your pants regularly, maybe once or twice a day. Also, you may benefit from sleeping without underwear. But if you sleep with underwear, use a clean one. Wash your underwear well and dry it in sunlight. If you are not able to dry it in sunlight, iron it before you wear.
Vaginal yeast infections are common conditions that usually occur in women. These infections can be the result of wearing tight underwear. It can also be caused by medications or certain health problems. If you think you have vaginal yeast infections, see a doctor as soon as possible.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: March 8, 2017 | Last Modified: March 8, 2017
Vaginal yeast infection. https://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/vaginal-yeast-infections.html. Accessed February 26, 2017.
Vaginal yeast infection. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001511.htm. Accessed February 26, 2017.
What is a Yeast Infection?. https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/3833/. Accessed February 26, 2017.
Vaginal Yeast Infections – Women’s Health Guide. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/infectiondontpassiton/womens-health-guide/vaginal-yeast-infections.asp. Accessed February 26, 2017.
CAUSES OF YEAST INFECTIONS. https://msu.edu/~eisthen/yeast/causes.html. Accessed February 26, 2017.