The knee is the joint, in which the bones of the upper leg connect with the bones of the lower leg. It plays an important role in providing flexibility, strength, and stability for standing and walking, crouching, jumping, and running motions. However, there are lots of knee problems occur in our daily life. In this article, we would find out what types of knee problems and how to prevent them.
Types of knee problems: how much do you know?
Knee problems are very common which occur in people of all ages. Usually, knee problems are the result of disease or injury.
- Your knee could be affected by a number of diseases. They include arthritis (such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, systemic lupus erythematosus, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, reactive arthritis), chondromalacia (chondromalacia patellae), Osgood-Schlatter, iliotibial band syndrome, Osteochondritis dissecans, plica syndrome.
- Knee injuries also occur your knee problem. Usually, injuries happen slowly over time. Types of injuries contain meniscal injuries, cruciate ligament injuries, medial and lateral collateral ligament injuries, tendon injuries.
How to prevent knee problems?
In some cases, knee problems are the result of an accident, so they can’t be foreseen or prevented. But, patients can prevent knee problems by some tips below:
- Maintain your weight. As you may not know, knees play an important role in providing stability and strength to support your body’s weight. If you have an extra weight, it could increase the rate of developing osteoarthritis, especially for those patients who have obesity. So, try to maintain your weight that is appropriate for your age and your size to help decline stress on knees.
- Wear sensible shoes with a good fit. Suitable shoes will help maintain balance and leg alignment when you want to join in activities like walking or running and limit your rate of knee injuries.
- Warm-up before doing exercises. Remember to warm up and do stretches. It helps prevent tension on your tendons and relieve stress on the knees during activity.
- Do exercises. There are lots of kind of exercises that you could choose, such as walking, swimming or yoga. However, ask your doctor before you want to do any exercise. They may suggest what exercise is good for you based on your condition.
- Maintain your daily exercise moderately. A decrease in activity can lead to weakness and increase your risk of injuries.
- Don’t change the intensity of your exercise. Instead, you should build up slightly to avoid knee pain.
- Using the correct techniques or positions while doing activities to limit your muscles be strained.
- Don’t carry heavy objects. You may use a step stool. And remember not to stand on chairs or other unsteady objects.
- Physical therapy. A physical therapist may help you to set up an appropriate exercise regime if you have a knee injury.
- Using NSAIDs. In some cases, your doctor may suggest drinking NSAIDs medication relieve inflammation, irritation on your knees. You can buy it as an over the counter form or as a prescription from your doctor.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: July 11, 2017 | Last Modified: July 11, 2017
9 Ways to avoid knee pain and injuries. http://www.everydayhealth.com/knee-pain/how-to-avoid-knee-injuries.aspx. Accessed July 11, 2017
Knee problems and injuries – Prevention. http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/knee-problems-and-injuries-prevention#1. Accessed July 11, 2017
Question and answers about knee problems. https://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/knee_problems/default.asp. Accessed July 11, 2017