Weather can cause a lot of troubles to human health. Besides cold, flu or seasonal allergies, cracked peeling is among the health concerns related to weather. This condition brings about pain from mild to severe. Thus, how to treat it safely and effectively is really necessary.
Why do people have cracked peeling?
Cracked peeling is caused by shortage of moisture in the skin. This condition usually happen in feet or hands since there are no oil glands in those areas to keep them moisturized. In addition, there are also other causes for cracked peeling, including:
- Too many hot showers
- Certain skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis…
- Certain diseases like diabetes or thyroid problem
- Non-moisturising bath gel or soap
- Cold weather
- Regularly of air-condition ( leading to low humidity levels)
What are the symptoms of crackedpeeling?
Before the worst condition of cracked peeling and severe pain presents, there are some symptoms as following:
How to treat cracked peeling?
Before carry out the treatment, prepare those items:
- Lotion or vaseline or vegetable oil
- Soft cotton socks
- Soft towel
- Antibacteria shower gel or soap
- Pumice stone
The procedure includes those steps.
Remove the dead skin cells and the harderned areas by scubbing them with pumice stone. If you happen to have any pain, stop it.
Keep the affected areas moisturized regularly. First, apply vaseline or lotion or vegetable oil then cover them with socks. Do this daily to see the improvement.
Keep the affected areas clean by using anti-bacteria soap. After the washing, dry them with soft and clean cotton towel. This will prevent infections leading to painful experience.
Soak the affecteced areas with lemon juice to soften the skin. Each time you do, keep it last in 10 minutes for best result.
Drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. Avoid consuming coffee or alcohol which can make the skin dry and worsen the condition.
If this condition does not improve or gets worse regardless of your attempts, seek for doctor’s help.
How to prevent cracked peeling?
Here are some tips to prevent this condition.
- Dicuss with the doctor for specific medical treatment to manage the dryness.
- Try not to scatch or rub the affected areas. If the itchiness persists, employ the cold methods by placing ice packs or cold compresses at those areas.
- Stay away from all the activities as well as products that can make the skin dry such as bubble bath or scented soap.
- In stead of rubbing the towel to dry the skin, tap it.
- Avoid sauna or steam baths and other hot water bath. Lukewarm one is advisible.
- Moisturize the skin after taking bath.
- Wear shoes that allow the feet to breath.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine
Cracked peeling causes many discomfort from itching, burning feeling to difficulty walking and even bleeding. Thus, follow the instruction above to get healthy and flawless skin.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: January 24, 2017 | Last Modified: January 24, 2017
How to Treat Dry, Cracked & Peeling Feet Naturally. http://www.livestrong.com/article/81124-treat-dry-cracked-peeling/ Accessed January 17, 2017
Dry, Cracked Feet: Treatment, Causes, and Home Remedies. http://www.footvitals.com/skin/dry-feet.html Accessed January 17, 2017