Toxic shock syndrome

By

Toxic shock syndrome is a rare, fatal complication of certain types of bacterial infections, associated primarily with the use of superabsorbent tampons; having cuts or burns on your skin; recent surgery; contraceptive sponges, diaphragms or superabsorbent tampons; viral infection, such as the flu or chickenpox.

Some following tips can help you to reduce risks of having toxic shock syndrome, such as:

  • Change tampons frequently, at least every four to eight hours.
  • Use mini pads when your flow is light.
  • Do not use tampons if you’ve had toxic shock syndrome or a prior serious staph or strep infection,

This condition can be caused by the toxins produced by Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria or group A streptococcus (strep) bacteria.

Toxic shock syndrome can affect anyone: men, children and postmenopausal women, characterized by following signs and syndromes:

  • A sudden high fever;
  • Low blood pressure (hypotension);
  • Vomiting or diarrhea;
  • A rash resembling a sunburn, particularly on your palms and soles;
  • Confusion;
  • Muscle aches;
  • Redness of your eyes, mouth and throat;
  • Seizures;
  • Headaches;

Call your doctor immediately if you have signs or symptoms of toxic shock syndrome especially when you’ve recently used tampons or if you have a skin or wound infection.

To diagnose toxic shock syndrome:

  • Blood and urine samples can help your health care provider to test for the presence of a staph or strep infection. Your vagina, cervix and throat may be swabbed for samples for laboratory analysis.
  • CT scan, lumbar puncture or chest X-ray, to assess the extent of your illnesses in other organs.

Hospitalization is important if you develop toxic shock syndrome.

In hospital, you will:

  • Be treated with antibiotics.
  • Be indicated to receive medication for hypotension and fluids to treat dehydration.
  • Receive supportive care to treat other signs and symptoms.
  • Surgery: to remove nonliving tissue (debridement) from the site of infection or to drain the infection.

Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnose or treatment.

Sources
Want to live your best life?
Get the Hello Doktor Daily newsletter for health tips, wellness updates and more.
You might also like