About 20% of the alcohol you take can affect your brain directly in less than a minute by going straight to your blood stream through the stomach wall. The other 80% will go to the intestine to be absorbed.
The alcohol can greatly change your body functions and deteriorate your organs. Specifically:
To the stomach
Drinking alcohol can reduce your appetite as a result of an increase in digestive acids, leading to loss of appetite.
Drinking too much alcohol can increase your phlegm production.
High alcohol level can cause inflammation in the stomach and stomach ulcer.
If you drank alcohol with an empty stomach, it can directly go to your blood stream.
To the kidney
Alcohol is a diuretic and can increase the frequency of urination.
Alcohol can increase the amount of urine within 20 minutes since drinking.
Frequent urination can lead to dehydration.
To the lungs
Drinking alcohol makes you inhale more than the number of exhale you have. This makes the lungs works harder and might unable to filter out harmful chemicals in the air.
To the liver
The liver can only filter one glass of alcohol per hour.
Frequent alcohol drinking is very damaging to the liver.
Liver cirrhosis happens when you drink too much alcohol.
To the brain
When alcohol reaches your brain, it will immediately influence your brain functions.
Moreover, alcohol can cause:
- Disturbed sleep;
- Loss of focus;
Signs that you have drunk too much
You find yourself unable to stop drinking. You can also regret many things you do while you are drunk. You wish you could stop or drink less, but still, you continue drinking anyway.
Your alcohol tolerance increases. Compare to when you first started drinking, your tolerance has definitely improved a lot. It now takes a lot more alcohol to get you drunk. Not only do you drink more, you also drink faster and drink with the intention to get drunk, rather than for the social experience.
You are more reckless and often end up in risky situations. Drinking has brought you into trouble many times. These situations can even bring you harm or hurt someone around you.
Your personality changes when you drink. Have anyone told you that your personality changes drastically when you are drunk? Be careful, this might be a sign of an underlying emotional issue. You might be thinking drinking as the solution.
You often have memory lost or short “black-outs.” Drinking problem is often a cause of memory lost. You might not pass out, but you forget what happens when you are drunk.
Tips to control your drinking
Pay attention to your emotions and senses to put a limit to your drink. You can do this yourself or ask someone to do this for you. You can ask your partner to keep an eye on you.
Set a rule: every time you join a party, only drink a glass per hour.
Avoid strong liquor, opt for beer instead of wine.
Pick the right amount of alcohol percentage of your drink. As a rule, the lower the better.
Don’t drink when you feel emotional, such as when you are sad or angry, or even when you feel depressed. Drinking to forget these negative feelings is the shortest way to alcohol dependence. Moreover, after you sober up, your problem doesn’t solve itself.
Review Date: March 17, 2017 | Last Modified: March 17, 2017
How alcohol travels through your body. http://visual.ly/how-alcohol-travels-through-body?utm_source=visually_embed.
Alcohol Self-Assessment. https://www.addictioncenter.com/alcohol/assessment/
How to control drink. http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/how-to-control-drinking-0802124