Every now and then people happen to get a sore throat. This condition brings about pain, itchiness, irritation in the throat of the sufferers. This article will show readers how to get rid of a sore throat.
What causes a sore throat?
Sore throat can be caused by pollution, dry air, allergies or common diseases like flu, cold, chicken pox or measles.
While severe sore throats require doctor’s help, the mild ones can be treated by some home remedies as followed.
Home remedies to get rid of sore throat
Mix licorice roots with water to get the effective gargle solution. This kind of herb can reduce sore throats and coughing after surgery.
Honey has long been known for its healing agent; thus, it can easily heal the sore throat. You can either mix honey with tea or use it alone to sooth your sore throat as well as reduce the nighttime cough.
Sore throat can be treated by gargling salt water. Mix salt with warm water to get a remedy that can ease sore throat, reduce secretion and kill bacteria existing in the throat. Gargling salt water every 3 hours to keep the throat clean and ease the discomfort.
Besides the properties of bringing about fresher breath, peppermint can relieve sore throat. In addition, there is methol in peppermint, which can reduce mucus and coughs. Moreover, peppermint contains anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial properties that contribute greatly to the healing process.
Chamomile tea has a long history of being used as healing agent for sore throat. It is among one of the oldest herbs ever used to treat this health condition. Besides, chamomile tea can boost the immune system, making it stronger to defend against the factors causing sore throat from the very first begining.
Remedies for infants and children
- Add more moisture to their room by using cool mist or humidifier. This can reduce the pain.
- Remember not to give honey to infants or children under one year old.
- Keep the child hydrated by encouraging them to drink much water. Do not use juices or other drinks which contain a lot of citrus.
How to prevent sore throat?
- Stay away from those who are experiencing infectious illnesses like cold or flu or chicken pox.
- Wash your hand regularly.
- Avoid spicy foods and smoking to avoid inflammation.
- Stay hydrated always.
- Seek proper medical help when getting a sore throat which does not get better after several days of home treatment.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: March 2, 2017 | Last Modified: March 2, 2017
9 Natural Remedies for Sore Throats. http://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/sore-throat-natural-remedies?m=0&rw1 Accessed February 22, 2017