It is believed that a balanced diet from different food groups can help reduce the risk of seizures for some people. It is important to control what you eat if you have seizures.
What are benefits of a balanced diet?
With a balanced diet,essential nutrients, and your energy will be well maintained. A healthy diet not only helps you to keep normal sleep pattern but only keep you active and strong. A balanced diet has a critical role in keeping your overall health. Because of supporting for your sleep, it can help reduce the risk of seizures for some people with seizures caused by lacking sleep. If you have suitable diets for your health, you may feel more positive, more able to stay focus. Moreover, you can keep your life under control as well as manage your seizures.
What is a balanced diet?
A balanced diet should include carbohydrates, fats, protein, vegetables,fruit, and plenty of fluids.
- Carbohydrates which you can find in potatoes, bread, pasta, or rice are the source of energy which supports you in a hard working day.
- Fats in oils, oily fish, nuts, and seeds are the substance helping us absorb nutrients including important vitamins and keep us warm.
- Protein can be found in milk, cheese, as well as in meat, fish, tofu, beans, lentils and eggs. Protein helps our body to build and support our muscles, hormones, enzymes, red blood cells and immune system.
- Vegetable and fruit are the source of vitamins and minerals which can protect us from infection, damage to our cells.
- More importantly, you should drink two liters of fluid a day to avoid dehydration which can trigger seizures.
Knowing what to eat
Even though we know what a balanced diet includes, you should know the ways to manage what you eat and what foods are suitable for you.
- Steady energy release food: wholegrain, granary and seeded breads; basmati, long grain and brown rice; pasta and noodles; oats and oat-based cereals; peas, beans and pulses; yoghurt; nuts; sweet potatoes and yams; new potatoes (skins on); non-starchy vegetables such as greens, broccoli, onions and tomatoes; apples, pears and most berries.
- Rather than other fats, you should supplement more omega-3 fats. These fats have advantages of keeping you a healthy heart and skin and boost your energy levels. Oily fish such as mackerel, salmon, sardines, herring, and anchovies all contain high levels of omega-3. Other omega-3 rich foods include flaxseeds, hemp seeds, and walnuts.
- Vitamin and mineral supplements. The important vitamin which you should take is vitamin D. It helps the body to absorb calcium and build healthy bones. You can find vitamin eggs, oily fish, fish liver oils, cereals, fat spreads, and dairy products.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: January 4, 2017 | Last Modified: January 4, 2017
Natural Treatments for Epilepsy: Do They Work? http://www.healthline.com/health/natural-treatments-epilepsy. Accessed November25, 2016.
diet and nutrition. https://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/diet-and-nutrition#.Vz6aCkQczIU. Accessed November25, 2016.
FACES (Finding A Cure for Epilepsy and Seizures). http://faces.med.nyu.edu/nutrition. Accessed November25, 2016.