Family history of diabetes and history of gestational diabetes
Lack of physical activities
Other risks factors
- Your blood sugar levels are higher than normal
- Your blood pressure is higher than 140/90 mmHg
- You are overweight: your body mass index (BMI) is higher than 30
- Your cholesterol levels are not normal. Safe cholesterol level (HDL) is less than 35 and your triglyceride level is higher than 250.
- You have blood vessel problems that can affect your brain and heart.
Review Date: March 4, 2017 | Last Modified: February 20, 2017
Risk factors for type 2 diabetes. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-communication-programs/ndep/am-i-at-risk/diabetes-risk-factors/Pages/diabetesriskfactors.aspx. Accessed October 31, 2016.
Type 2 diabetes – Causes. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes-type2/Pages/Causes.aspx. Accessed October 31, 2016.
DIABETES RISK FACTORS. https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/What-is-diabetes/Know-your-risk-of-Type-2-diabetes/Diabetes-risk-factors/. Accessed October 31, 2016.
Causes of Type 2 Diabetes. http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-2-diabetes-guide/diabetes-causes#2. Accessed October 31, 2016.
Type 2 diabetes. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-2-diabetes/symptoms-causes/dxc-20169861. Accessed October 31, 2016.
Basics About Diabetes. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/diabetes.html. Accessed October 31, 2016.