What is sweet cicely used for?
Sweet cicely is an herb. It is used to make medicine.
People take sweet cicely as a tea or tonic for asthma and other breathing problems, cough, digestion problems, chest and throat complaints, and urinary tract disorders. It is also used as a “blood purifier.”
Sweet cicely is sometimes applied directly to the skin for gout.
How does it work?
There are not enough studies about how sweet cicely works. Please discuss with your herbalist or doctor for more information.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using sweet cicely?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist or herbalist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription.
- You have allergy with any substances of sweet cicely or other medications or other herbs.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
- You have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
The regulations for an herb are less strict than the regulations for a drug. More studies are needed to determine its safety. The benefits of taking this herb outweigh the risks before use. Consult with your herbalist or doctor for more information.
How safe is sweet cicely?
There isn’t enough information available to know if sweet cicely is safe or what the possible side effects might be.
Special precautions & warnings
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of sweet cicely during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
What kind of side effects may I have from sweet cicely?
If you have any concerns about side effects, please consult your herbalist or doctor.
What interactions may I have with sweet cicely?
Sweet cicely may interact with your current medications or medical conditions. Consult with your herbalist or doctor before using.
The information provided is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your herbalist or doctor before using this medication.
What is the usual dose for sweet cicely?
The dose for sweet cicely may be different for every patient. The dose that you take depends on your age, health, and several other conditions. Herbs are not always safe. Please discuss with your herbalist or doctor for your appropriate dosage.
What form does sweet cicely come in?
Sweet cicely may be available in the following forms:
- Raw sweet cicely
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.