What is Vitabact® (picloxydine) used for?
Vitabact® is commonly used for treating eye infections caused by bacteria sensitive.
Vitabact® may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take Vitabact® (picloxydine)?
Use Vitabact® eye drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions. Vitabact® eye drops are only for the eye. Do not get it in your nose or mouth.
To use Vitabact® eye drops in the eye:
- First, wash your hands, then tilt your head back.
- Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch.
- Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes.
- Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Vitabact® eye drops. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use levofloxacin eye drops.
How do I store Vitabact® (picloxydine)?
Vitabact® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Vitabact® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Vitabact® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Vitabact® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Vitabact® (picloxydine)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Vitabact® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using this medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication.
What side effects can occur from Vitabact® (picloxydine)?
Vitabact® may cause eye irritations.
Please find doctor right away if any of these severe side effects occur:
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness in the chest
- Swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue)
- Eye pain
- Severe eye irritation
- Vision changes
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Vitabact® (picloxydine)?
Vitabact® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Vitabact® (picloxydine)?
Vitabact® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Vitabact® (picloxydine)?
Vitabact® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of Vitabact® (picloxydine) for an adult?
Patients over 15 years old:
The recommended dose is 1 drop 2 to 6 times a day.
What is the dose of Vitabact® (picloxydine) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Vitabact® (picloxydine) available?
Vitabact® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Eye drops picloxydine 0.05%
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Vitabact®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: May 29, 2017 | Last Modified: September 12, 2019
Vitabact®. https://www.moncoinsante.co.uk/Vitabact-collyre-antiseptique-10-recipients-unidoses-de-0-4-ml.html. Accessed January 5, 2017.