What is Unoprostone used for?
Unoprostone is commonly used to treat glaucoma. It is used to lower high eye pressure.
How should I take Unoprostone?
Use unoprostone as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the eye only.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Take out contact lenses before using this medicine. Lenses may be put back in 15 minutes after unoprostone is given. Do not put contacts back in if your eyes are irritated or infected.
- Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
- Tilt your head back and drop drug into the eye.
- After use, keep your eyes closed. Put pressure on the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 1 to 2 minutes. This keeps the drug in your eye.
- If more than 1 drug is being used in the same eye, use each drug at least 5 minutes apart.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
How do I store Unoprostone?
Unoprostone is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Unoprostone in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Unoprostone that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Unoprostone down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Unoprostone?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Unoprostone or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Tell all of your health care providers that you take unoprostone. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
Use care when driving or doing other tasks that call for clear eyesight.
Have your eye pressure and eyesight checked as you have been told by the doctor.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine while you are pregnant.
Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Unoprostone during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Unoprostone. Unoprostone is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Unoprostone?
Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- If bright lights bother your eyes.
- Eye discharge.
- Dry eyes.
- Eye irritation.
- Eyelash growth.
- Feeling that something is in the eye.
- Flu-like signs.
- Eye color may change with use. This medicine may raise the brown pigment. Dark eyelashes and skin around the eye may also happen. These changes may be long-lasting.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Unoprostone?
Unoprostone may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Unoprostone?
Unoprostone may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Unoprostone?
Unoprostone may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Unoprostone.
What is the dose of Unoprostone for an adult?
Consult your doctor for further information.
What is the dose of Unoprostone for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Unoprostone available?
Unoprostone is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Eye drops
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Unoprostone, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Unoprostone. https://www.drugs.com/cdi/unoprostone.html. Accessed November 23, 2017
Unoprostone. https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a613036.html. Accessed November 23, 2017
Review Date: November 28, 2017 | Last Modified: November 28, 2017