What are Thermacare® Heat Wraps used for?
Thermacare® Heat Wraps are used for:
- Back/Hip Wrap: Provides temporary relief of minor muscular back aches and pains associated with overexertion, joint strains, sprains, and arthritis.
- Neck to Arm Wrap: Provides temporary relief of minor muscular and joint aches and pains associated with overexertion, strains, sprains and arthritis.
- Menstrual Patch: Provides temporary relief of minor menstrual cramp pain and associated back ache.
How should I take Thermacare® Heat Wraps?
Tear open the pouch when ready to use. It may take up to 30 minutes for Thermacare® Heat Wraps to reach its therapeutic temperature. For maximum effectiveness, we recommend you wear Thermacare® Heat Wraps for the full 8 hours. Do not use for more than 8 hours in any 24-hour period OR for more than 7 days in a row (4 days in a row for menstrual product).
Place on pain area on lower back or hip with darker discs toward skin. Attach firmly.
Peel away paper to reveal adhesive side. Place on pain area with adhesive side toward skin. Attach firmly.
How do I store Thermacare® Heat Wraps?
Thermacare® Heat Wraps are best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Thermacare® Heat Wraps in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Thermacare® Heat Wraps that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Thermacare® Heat Wraps down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Thermacare® Heat Wraps?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Thermacare® Heat Wraps or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Do not microwave or attempt to reheat this product to avoid risk of fire. This product has the potential to cause skin irritation or burns. Heat discs contain iron (~2 grams) which can be harmful if ingested. If ingested, rinse mouth with water and call a Poison Control Center right away. If the heat disc contents contact your skin or eyes, rinse right away with water.
Do not use: On broken or damaged skin
- with medicated lotions, creams, or ointments
- on areas of bruising or swelling that have occurred within 48 hours
- on people unable to remove the product, including children and infants
- on areas of the body where heat cannot be felt
- with other forms of heat.
Ask a doctor before use if you have diabetes, poor circulation, rheumatoid arthritis or are pregnant.
When using this product: It is normal to experience temporary skin redness after removing the wrap. If your skin is still red after a few hours, stop using Thermacare® Heat Wraps until the redness goes away completely. To reduce the risk of prolonged redness in the future, we recommend you: (a) wear for a shorter period of time, (b) wear looser clothing over wrap, (c) wear over a thin layer of clothing
- Periodically check your skin: (a) if your skin is sensitive to heat, (b) if your tolerance to heat has decreased over the years, (c) when wearing a tight fitting belt or waistband
- Consider wearing during the day before deciding to use during sleep.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using Thermacare® Heat Wraps during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Thermacare® Heat Wraps.
What side effects can occur from Thermacare® Heat Wraps?
Stop use and ask a doctor if:
- After 7 days of product use (4 days for menstrual product) the pain you are treating gets worse or remains unchanged. This could be a sign of a more serious condition.
- You experience any discomfort, swelling, rash or other changes in your skin that persist where the wrap is worn.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Thermacare® Heat Wraps?
Thermacare® Heat Wraps may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Thermacare® Heat Wraps?
Thermacare® Heat Wraps may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Thermacare® Heat Wraps?
Thermacare® Heat Wraps may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Thermacare® Heat Wraps.
What is the dose of Thermacare® Heat Wraps for an adult?
For maximum effectiveness, we recommend you wear Thermacare® Heat Wraps for 8 hours. Do not use for more than 8 hours in any 24-hour period.
What is the dose of Thermacare® Heat Wraps for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How are Thermacare® Heat Wraps available?
Thermacare® Heat Wraps are available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Back/Hip Wrap: Available in trial size of 1 L/XL or in boxes of 2 S/M or L/XL wraps.
- Neck to Arm: Available in boxes of 3 wraps.
- Menstrual: Available in boxes of 3 patches.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Thermacare® Heat Wraps, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Thermacare® Heat Wraps. https://www.drugs.com/drp/thermacare-heat-wraps.html. Accessed November 15, 2017
Thermacare® Heat Wraps. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/thermacare-heatwraps-air-activated-advanced-menstrual-pain-therapy/ID=prod6003654-product. Accessed November 15, 2017
Review Date: November 15, 2017 | Last Modified: November 28, 2017