What is skenan LP (morphine) used for?
Skenan LP is commonly used for treating moderate to severe pain. Morphine is not used for treating short-term pain just after surgery unless you were already taking morphine before the surgery.
The extended-release form of this medicine is for around-the-clock treatment of pain. This form of morphine is not for use on an as-needed basis for pain.
How should I take skenan LP (morphine)?
Morphine can slow or stop your breathing, especially when you start using this medicine or whenever your dose is changed. Never take morphine in larger amounts, or for longer than prescribed. Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain.
Stop taking all other around-the-clock narcotic pain medications when you start taking morphine.
Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole to avoid exposure to a potentially fatal dose.
Take the medicine at the same time each day.
Do not stop using morphine suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to safely stop using this medicine.
Never crush or break a morphine pill to inhale the powder or mix it into a liquid to inject the drug into your vein. This practice has resulted in death with the misuse of morphine and similar prescription drugs.
How do I store skenan LP (morphine)?
Skenan LP is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store skenan LP in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of skenan LP that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush skenan LP down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using skenan LP (morphine)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of skenan LP or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Morphine may be habit-forming, even at regular doses. Never share this medicine with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction.
Keep track of the amount of medicine used from each new bottle. Morphine is a drug of abuse and you should be aware if anyone is using your medicine improperly or without a prescription.
Morphine is more likely to cause breathing problems in older adults and people who are severely ill, malnourished, or otherwise debilitated.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using this medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication.
What side effects can occur from skenan LP (morphine)?
Common side effects may include:
- Stomach pain
- Tired feeling
- Mild itching
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- Slow heart rate, sighing, weak or shallow breathing
- Chest pain, fast or pounding heartbeats
- Extreme drowsiness, feeling like you might pass out
- Infertility, missed menstrual periods
- Impotence, sexual problems, loss of interest in sex
- Low cortisol levels such as nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, dizziness, worsening tiredness or weakness
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction to morphine, including hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Seek medical attention right away if you have symptoms of serotonin syndrome, such as agitation, hallucinations, fever, sweating, shivering, fast heart rate, muscle stiffness, twitching, loss of coordination, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with skenan LP (morphine)?
Skenan LP may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with skenan LP (morphine)?
Skenan LP may interact with food by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with skenan LP (morphine)?
Skenan LP may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
To make sure morphine is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- Breathing problem or lung disease
- A history of head injury, brain tumor, or seizures
- A history of drug abuse, alcohol addiction, or mental illness
- Urination problems
- Liver or kidney disease
- Problems with your gallbladder, pancreas, or thyroid
- Severe asthma
- A blockage in your stomach or intestines
- A bowel obstruction called paralytic ileus
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using skenan LP (morphine).
What is the dose of skenan LP (morphine) for an adult?
For use only in opioid tolerant patients:
Maximum dose is 1600 mg orally daily.
The recommended dose is 100 mg and 200 mg.
To be taken orally 1 to 2 times daily swallowed whole or opened and sprinkled on a small amount of applesauce immediately prior to ingestion.
What is the dose of skenan LP (morphine) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is skenan LP (morphine) available?
Skenan LP is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Capsules, Prolonged Release; Oral; Morphine Sulfate 10 mg
- Capsules, Prolonged Release; Oral; Morphine Sulfate 100 mg
- Capsules, Prolonged Release; Oral; Morphine Sulfate 200 mg
- Capsules, Prolonged Release; Oral; Morphine Sulfate 30 mg
- Capsules, Prolonged Release; Oral; Morphine Sulfate 60 mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you do miss a dose, take the medicine as soon as you remember. Then take your next dose as follows:
- If you take morphine 3 times per day: Take your next dose 8 hours after taking the missed dose.
- If you take morphine 2 times per day: Take your next dose 12 hours after taking the missed dose.
- If you take morphine 1 time per day: Take your next dose 24 hours after taking the missed dose.
Do not take extra medicine to make up a missed dose. Do not take more than your prescribed dose in a 24-hour period.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: April 30, 2017 | Last Modified: September 13, 2019
Skenan LP. http://www.medicatione.com/?c=drug&s=skenan%20lp&ingredient=morphine%20sulfate. Accessed December 23, 2016
Morphine. https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=bcb37ca5-9406-4e5a-bcd4-7e737e403c33. Accessed December 23, 2016
Morphine. https://www.drugs.com/morphine.html. Accessed December 23, 2016.