What is Rulid® (roxithromycin) used for?
Rulid® is commonly used for treat infections in different parts of the body caused by bacteria, such as:
- Acute pharyngitis (sore throat and discomfort when swallowing)
- Acute bronchitis (infection of the bronchi causing coughing)
- Pneumonia (lung infection characterized by fever, malaise, headache)
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Non gonoccocal urethritis
- Impetigo (bacterial infection causing sores on the skin)
How should I take Rulid® (roxithromycin)?
To use tablets, you should:
- Take this product by mouth as directed. Follow all directions on the product package.
- If you are uncertain about any of the information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
How do I store Rulid® (roxithromycin)?
Rulid® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Rulid® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Rulid® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Rulid® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Rulid® (roxithromycin)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or intend to become pregnant.
- You have any allergies to any other medicines or any other substances, such as foods, preservatives or dyes.
- You have an allergy to roxithromycin, any other macrolide antibiotic (e.g., azithromycin, clarithromycin or erythromycin), or any of the ingredients in Rulid®.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using Rulid® during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Rulid®.
What side effects can occur from Rulid® (roxithromycin)?
Some side effects are:
- Shortness of breath, wheezing or difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue or other parts of the body
- Rash, itching or hives on the skin
- Abdominal cramps
- Vulvovaginal candidiasis
- Renal failure
- Prolongation of QT interval
- Nail discoloration
What drugs may interact with Rulid® (roxithromycin)?
Rulid® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products may interact with this drug, including:
- Ergot alkaloids (e.g., Migral, Cafergot, Ergodryl, Dihydergot)
- Ergot Derivatives
Does food or alcohol interact with Rulid® (roxithromycin)?
Rulid® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Rulid® (roxithromycin)?
Rulid® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
These health conditions are:
- Severe liver problems
- Kidney problems (impaired function)
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Rulid® (roxithromycin).
What is the dose of Rulid® (roxithromycin) for an adult?
The recommended adult dosage is 300 mg per day.
What is the dose of Rulid® (roxithromycin) for a child?
The recommended dosage for children more than 40 kg, is one 150 mg tablet twice daily. The dosage of roxithromycin given to children is dependent on the child’s weight. Roxithromycin is not recommended for children less than 40 kg in weight.
How is Rulid® (roxithromycin) available?
Rulid® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Tablet 150mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Rulid®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Rulid® (roxithromycin). http://www.healthtranslations.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcmed.nsf/ead67cc7ba5c3879ca257e4200114a2d/b00f14bb4416c7dfca257e42001193ae?OpenDocument. Accessed November 13, 2016
Rulid® (roxithromycin). http://www.antimicrobe.org/drugpopup/roxithromycin.htm. Accessed November 13, 2016
Review Date: January 20, 2017 | Last Modified: February 6, 2017